Data Scientist - Machine Learning Platform
Uber Data Science is looking for world class machine learning scientists to join its Machine Learning Platform, a group responsible for building and scaling the machine learning technology and intuition throughout the company. We’re looking to take Uber’s data culture to the next level through a combination of efficient, intelligent automation of common workflows, building products that supercharge the data scientist’s modeling process, and seamlessly integrating prediction models into Uber infrastructure, allowing rapid deployment of our best ideas.
To date, Uber has been hard at work building a global transportation fabric that spans the globe, and data science lies at the heart of it. The Machine Learning Platform lies at the foundation of this success- you’ll be working in cross-functional teams of engineers, scientists, and product professionals on some of the most high-leverage projects in the company.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working with dedicated engineering to build a platform that owns the machine learning workflow from data prep and feature engineering all the way through to deployment and monitoring.Mentor and advise our product managers to help them create a set of tools “by data scientists, for data scientists”.
- Partner with some of Uber’s most critical path products to help them leverage effective predictive modeling, while also guiding feature development on new platform features to help us find good product-market fit.
- Setting strategic vision to overcome the complexities of an evolving machine learning ecosystem- thinking through concepts like feature engineering and storage, real-time prediction, containerization and deployment of predictors, and the interplay of more and more predictive models guiding the user experience.
- Research and implement new, novel machine learning algorithms and workflows- our problems are some of the most unique in the world, our models need to account for this.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- A graduate degree or equivalent in computer science or a quantitative domain plus hands-on software engineering and data science experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest mathematical abstractions down to the metal.
- 5 years experience delivering, scaling, and owning highly successful and innovative machine learning products with your fingerprints all over them – you’re extremely proud of what you’ve accomplished.
- Demonstrable proficiency in coding (Python, Sparq, R preferred) and programming concepts, combined with the enthusiasm and passion to build.
- Detailed understanding of the breadth and depth of the machine learning workflow- ability to discuss concepts such as feature discovery and feature engineering, model validation, prediction drift, online vs. offline learning and training, tree- and regression-based machine learning approaches, and model deployment in detail.
- Demonstrable expertise building modeling and machine learning tools and platforms- you’re excited by the leverage created in owning the workflows of how Uber does data science.
- A “driver” personality – biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier – constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Finger-tippiness with data: you just go get the data you need with no muss/fuss and can whip it into an insightful story with no help. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in paralysis by analysis.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top