Data Scientist - Fraud and Security (South Bay)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber is building a world class team that uses machine learning to deliver Uber's goal to make transportation as reliable as running water. You will join the team building machine learning models for the security platform supporting multiple Uber business lines (Rides, Eats, Social, U4B, etc) and multiple risk and security programs (Incentive Fraud, Account Security, Payment Risk, Privacy etc). Our team works together with product managers, engineers, and data analysts. As a member of our team, you'll protect Uber's riders and drivers by bringing state of the art technology to bear on the world's richest dataset about how people move. You will experiment with a range of machine learning techniques including supervised, unsupervised and semi-supervised approaches, and tackle a variety of interesting and challenging problems including knowledge graph analysis, identity and reputation scores, mobile sensor and GPS feature development etc. Our team applies a variety of learning algorithms such as CNN, LSTM, DBSCAN, tree-based models, neural networks, and other graph based techniques such as matrix decomposition, embedding, traversal and clustering etc. You will benefit from Uber's unique talent pool spanning several machine learning domains, including our advance research groups and the Uber AI labs (formerly Geometric Intelligence), applying and extending their research to our domain areas.
What you'll need
- Team spirit: you thrive in diverse teams and everyone in the team loves working with you
- Hands on mastery of data wrangling, modeling, and telling a story based on data
- A strong background in mathematics, statistics, machine learning combined with experience using these skills to solve hard problems
- Fanatical attention to detail
- A natural desire to learn and innovate: ML and Risk are fast-paced domains and we need to find the most efficient and clever approaches to solving risk problems
- Basic knowledge of programming techniques and data structures is desired
- Experience of working with large scale data set and knowledge of mapreduce, spark is desired but not mandatory
- Knowledge of the latest ML techniques like deep learning is a plus, but not a requirement
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top