Data Scientist - Forecasting
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it’s heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We’re making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we’re doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber’s positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Do you dream of making magic with data that aren’t just numbers floating in space, but are grounded in the reality of supply and demand for transportation services? Do you believe in the power of data to make transportation orders of magnitude more efficient than it is today? Then you should join our team and help change the way people traverse cities around the world! We are looking for motivated people with exceptional skills in analytics, statistics, and machine learning to join the Forecasting Team in Uber’s Marketplace Optimization Data Science Group.
Members of our team work closely with product and engineering staff to develop techniques to forecast future supply and demand for Uber’s products in different cities around the world. These forecasts are drivers of multiple mission-critical decisions within Uber including pricing, dispatch, driver positioning, and market health.
The qualified candidate will hold an advanced quantitative degree (Ph.D. or MS), and must be comfortable applying analytics to achieve business results. They must also have the enthusiasm and initiative necessary to deliver answers to those problems at Uber’s fast pace. The candidate is also expected to be comfortable working with massive amounts of dynamic data prototypes that can be used by engineering to develop working systems. Candidates should also be familiar with methods for estimating and evaluating the quality of forecasts of quantities that vary through time and across space.
What you’ll do
- Develop new algorithms for forecasting supply and demand across time and space.
- Design experiments to evaluate the effectiveness of different approaches.
- Embed with engineering and partner closely with operations, business, and infrastructure groups.
- Develop methods to help users understand and use forecasts.
- Define creative solutions to business problems using advanced mathematical algorithms
- Work in a self-guided manner, as well as in collaboration with other data scientists.
- Communicate with management and cross-functional teams.
- Create and validate prototypes to demonstrate the benefits from proposed changes to decision systems and operational processes.
What you’ll need
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Management Science or other quantitative discipline, or B.S. with 5 or more years of experience.
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistical inference and forecasting.
- Ability to work effectively in both a self-guided manner and as a member of a small group.
- Experience handling both research and development.
- Experience communicating with both technical and business people. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Ability to develop ML or statistical analyses software in R or Python
- Experience with other object-oriented programming languages (e.g. java, C++, C#) a plus.
- Experience with reporting-based software (e.g. Shiny, D3.js) a plus.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top