Data Scientist - Forecasting
Do you dream of making magic with data that aren’t just numbers floating in space, but are
grounded in the reality of supply and demand for transportation services? Do you believe in the
power of data to make transportation orders of magnitude more efficient than it is today? Then
you should join our team and help change the way people traverse cities around the world!
We are looking for motivated individuals with strong skills in analytics, statistics, and machine
learning to join the Forecasting Team in Uber’s Marketplace Optimization Data Science Group.
Members of our team work closely with product and engineering staff to develop techniques to
forecast future supply and demand for Uber’s products in different cities around the world.
These forecasts are drivers of multiple mission-critical decisions within Uber including pricing,
dispatch, driver positioning, and market health.
The qualified candidate will hold an advanced quantitative degree (Ph.D. or MS), and must be
comfortable applying analytics to achieve business results. They must also have the enthusiasm
and initiative necessary to deliver answers to those problems at Uber’s breakneck pace. The
candidate is also expected to be comfortable working with massive amounts of dynamic data
and should have the programming skills necessary to translate ideas into working prototypes
that can be used by engineering to develop working systems. Candidates should also be
familiar with methods for estimating and evaluating the quality of forecasts of quantities that vary
through time and across space.
- Develop new algorithms for forecasting supply and demand across time and space.
- Design experiments to evaluate the effectiveness of different approaches.
- Embed with engineering and partner closely with operations, business, and infrastructure
- Develop methods to help users understand and use forecasts.
- Define creative solutions to business problems using advanced mathematical algorithms
- Work independently, as well as in collaboration with other data scientists.
- Communicate with management and cross-functional teams.
- Build and validate prototypes to demonstrate the benefits from proposed changes to decision
systems and operational processes.
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Management Science or other
quantitative discipline, or B.S. with 5 or more years of experience.
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistical inference and forecasting.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a small group.
- Experience driving research and development.
- Experience communicating with both technical and business people. Ability to speak at a level
appropriate for the audience.
- Ability to develop ML or statistical analyses software in R or Python
- Experience with other object-oriented programming languages (e.g. java, C++, C#) a plus.
- Experience with reporting-based software (e.g. Shiny, D3.js) a plus.
- Opportunity to help shape the future of mapping at Uber
- The rare opportunity to change the world because everyone around you is using the product
you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and
reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top