Data Science: Mapping Tools
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Do you dream of making magic with data that aren't just numbers floating in space, but are grounded in the reality of a road network? Do you believe in the capacity of data to make ground transportation orders of magnitude more efficient than it is today? Are you obsessed with driving efficiency through real-world experiments and applied optimization? Do you dream of finding the perfect way to augment human judgment with computer-driven automation to process huge volumes of map data faster than ever before? Then you should join our team and help change the way people traverse cities around the world!
We're looking for a Data Scientist to join our Maps team in Palo Alto, CA, focusing on efficiency improvements. The successful candidate will apply their experience with A/B testing to evaluate proposed changes to policies and processes, ensuring the health of our systems and maximizing the overall business value of the program over time. They will also build mathematical models characterizing the tradeoffs inherent in the decisions made by our operations team, and provide visibility into "what if" scenarios to evaluate decisions with complex consequences.
What You'll Do
- Work alongside engineering teams to design and analyze experiments.
- Build decision support systems to illustrate and optimize complex tradeoffs among diverse business metrics.
- Provide analysis using mathematical modeling tools to improve business processes and decisions.
- Define creative solutions to business problems using advanced mathematical algorithms
- Embed with engineering and partner closely with operations, business, and infrastructure groups.
- Work independently, as well as in collaboration with other data scientists.
- Communicate with senior management and cross-functional teams.
- Build and validate prototypes to demonstrate the benefits from proposed changes to decision systems and operational processes.
What You'll Need
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or other quantitative discipline.
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics and optimization.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a small group.
- Experience driving research and development.
- Experience communicating with both technical and business people. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Ability to develop statistical analysis software in R or python.
- Experience designing A/B experiments.
- Experience applying discrete and/or stochastic optimization methods to business problems.
- Experience with other object-oriented programming languages (e.g. java, C++, C#) a plus.
- Experience with reporting-based software (e.g. Shiny) a plus.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top