Data Science Manager - Shared Rides
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber's Shared Rides team is responsible for materially reducing the cost of transportation. In doing so, we take cars off the road, reduce congestion on our streets, and improve how people get around their cities. We are looking for an experienced data science manager to lead a diverse group of data scientists, in collaboration with a broader group of engineers, product managers, product ops, and Uber city teams in this mission.
Shared Rides data science is responsible for the analytics involved in enabling our drivers to transport multiple riders heading the same way and ensure that uberPOOL is an attractive opportunity to drivers and rider; experimenting with innovative new product offerings like uberHOP and pickup swaps; simulating marketplace changes to understand their effects; and designing our realtime dispatching and pricing systems to benefit riders, drivers and cities.
Joining our team is a unique opportunity to be part of a team that is changing the world of transportation and logistics forever. For the data science leader who wants to have a fundamental influence on the trajectory of a hyper-growth company, this is the opportunity of a lifetime!
The skills required for the job include:
- The ability to lead a diverse team that uses technical tools from Operations Research, Statistics, Machine Learning, and Economics
- At least two years experience successfully leading a technical team
- The ability to coordinate with diverse stakeholders from data science, product, engineering, and city operations
- A strong record of prior research and / or product development experience
- PhD strongly prefered in a quantitative field such as Operations Research, Statistics, Management Science, Computer Science or Economics.
- Familiarity with technical tools for analysis and engineering implementation
- A Research-to-Implementation Mindset: ability to spearhead a project from idea to experimentation to prototype to implementation.
- Driven and focused self-starter, great communicator, amazing follow-through - you aggressively tackle your work and love the responsibility of being individually empowered.
- You want to change the world. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- A desire to work with sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun environment.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top