Data Science Manager- Intelligent Spend
Are you interested in working at the intersection of applied microeconomic research, operations engineering, and data science? If so, Intelligent Spend may be the team for you. We are a team of scientists and engineers who work on the central economic questions facing Uber. Much of of our work straddles mechanism design (designing the surge price, driver incentives, and partner matching algorithms on the Uber platform), applied industrial organization and strategy (building decision engines which guide Uber’s growth and investment decisions), and behavioral experiments to understand partner and rider decision making. We’re growing as fast as Uber is growing, and don’t shy away from tackling Uber’s hardest economic problems.
However, with great opportunity comes great expectations – this isn’t the job for everyone. We are looking for people with advanced quantitative degrees (PhDs strongly preferred) who can bring analytic rigor to ill-defined business problems, model and measure the causal impact of our decisions, create novel solutions that bring value to partners, riders, and cities, and who can deliver those answers at Uber’s breakneck pace. You should have demonstrable programming skills and be comfortable with the product development process – you’ll often be embedded in some of Uber’s most fast-paced engineering teams.
We focus on the Economics of Uber’s two-sided marketplace. Therefore, particular preference is given to candidates with backgrounds in Behavioral, Industrial Organization or Market Design Economics, Operations Research, Operations Management, or similar fields.
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
- A strong record of prior research and / or product development experience
- Strong quantitative background: PhD strongly preferred
- Familiarity with technical tools for analysis: Python (with Pandas, etc.), SQL, Stata, Matlab, R
- A Research-to-Implementation Mindset: ability to spearhead a project from idea to experimentation to prototype to implementation.
- Driven and focused self-starter, great communicator, amazing follow-through – you aggressively tackle your work and love the responsibility of being individually empowered.
- A preference for quality over quantity – you get the math right and aspire to build the right solution; you like a team that holds each other to a high bar.
- You want to change the world. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- A desire to work with sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Monthly Uber credits
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
At Uber we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top