Data Science: Growth Optimization
Are you interested in working at the intersection of applied microeconomic research, operations engineering, and data analytics? If so, Growth Optimization may be the team for you. We are a team of economists and engineers who work on the central economic questions facing Uber. Much of of our work straddles mechanism design (designing the surge price, driver incentives, and partner matching algorithms on the Uber platform), applied industrial organization and strategy (building decision engines which guide Uber’s growth and investment decisions), and behavioral experiments to understand partner and rider decision making. We’re growing as fast as Uber is growing, and don’t shy away from tackling Uber’s hardest economic problems.
However, with great opportunity comes great expectations – this isn’t the job for everyone. We are looking for people with advanced quantitative degrees (PhDs strongly preferred) who can bring analytic rigor to ill-defined business problems, model and measure the causal impact of our decisions, create novel solutions that bring value to partners, riders, and cities, and who can deliver those answers at Uber’s breakneck pace. You should have demonstrable programming skills and be comfortable with the product development process – you’ll often be embedded in some of Uber’s most fast-paced engineering teams.
Growth Oprimization Scientists focus strongly on the Economics of Uber’s Marketplace. Therefore, particular preference is given to candidates with backgrounds in Behavioral, Industrial Organization or Market Design Economics, Operations Research, Operations Management, or similar fields.
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
- A strong record of prior research and / or product development experience
- Strong quantitative background: PhD strongly preferred
- Familiarity with technical tools for analysis – Python (with Pandas, etc.), SQL, Stata, Matlab, R
- A Research to Implementation Mindset – ability to spearhead a project from idea to experimentation to prototype to implementation.
- Driven and focused self-starters, great communicators, amazing follow-through – you aggressively tackle your work and love the responsibility of being individually empowered.
- A preference for quality over quantity – you get the math right and aspire to build the right solution; you like a team that holds each other to a high bar.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top