Data Science - Applied Economist / Econometrician
The Market Optimization Data Science team at Uber is looking for economists and econometricians with superb technical skills and a passion for tackling hard problems with huge real world impact.
Joining our team is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of changing the world of transportation forever. This is your chance to make economics come to life by bringing together great ideas, cutting edge information technology and the power of markets.
Our team is a small group of highly trained economists, statisticians, operations researchers and computational scientists who combine theoretical insight and modeling with stringent data analysis to maximize the efficiency of every part of Uber’s real-time worldwide marketplace.
Our team tackles problems such as optimizing Uber’s dynamic pricing engine; providing supply positioning guidance to drivers; optimizing dispatches of drivers to incoming requests; matching riders together for UberPool; and structuring menus and predicting orders for UberEATS.
As a Data Scientist / Economist, you will be developing high resolution temporal and spatial forecasting models of rider and driver behavior. This is an opportunity to combine time series analysis, spatial statistics and behavioral modeling to produce great real time predictions that will power all of Uber’s marketplace optimization decisions. You will work side by side with Uber’s engineering team to scale out your ideas across Uber’s real time production systems.
We are seeking applicants with the following attributes:
- Ability to think creatively and insightfully
- Masters or PhD in Economics / Econometrics with an applied emphasis on empirical/statistical analysis
- Experience with analytical tools such as R, Matlab, Stata or EViews
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
- Software development skills in one or more of C, C++, Java, Python, or similar is a strong plus
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
This is your chance to help build a universal product with global reach. We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world, and rethinking the transportation industry as we go. We need brains and passion to help make it happen, and to make it happen with style!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top