Data Protection Officer - EMEA
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
We are currently searching for an experienced privacy and data protection professional to fulfill the role of Data Protection Officer. You will be responsible for ensuring the privacy rights of our EU users, employees and others under European laws, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR"). This position will be based in Amsterdam (with regular international travel expected), and will report to the head of Uber's legal department.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do:
- Monitor and regularly audit Uber's compliance with European data protection laws, including GDPR and the ePrivacy directive
- Report regularly to senior management regarding status of GDPR compliance
- Inform and advise appropriate personnel about their obligations in the handling and processing of personal data under GDPR and other applicable data protection provisions
- Maintain data map/inventory
- Advise on data privacy impact assessments and data breach response, and report to DPAs on same as appropriate
- Act as point of contact for EU data protection regulators and data subjects on matters related to processing of personal data and their rights under the GDPR
- Work closely with privacy stakeholders throughout Uber, including in the legal, security, engineering, HR, policy, product, communications and others teams.
What You Are:
- At least 10 years of relevant experience, including relating to data protection and privacy issues
- Expert knowledge understanding of GDPR and ePrivacy directive
- In-depth understanding of technology industry and trends, particularly as relates to privacy and data security
- Strong written and oral communications skills, and the ability to communicate privacy concepts and requirements to all levels of the company
- Experiences working closely with cross-functional privacy stakeholders in legal, security, product, HR and other teams
- Eagerness to find innovative solutions that further key business goals while protecting privacy of users and others
- Experience advising fast-paced companies operating at global scale
Advanced degree (e.g., J.D.) and/or privacy certifications (i.e., CIPP) preferred
Back to top