Data Metrics Platform Engineer
Many companies are data driven, but being on the bleeding edge of the P2P Ride-Sharing / Logistics / Transportation industry, we partner with Data to conquer a whole new world of challenges. Every Uber employee is hands on with data 24 hours a day. Data is the center of our business— it drives the development of our world class service, highlights the effectiveness of incentives and promotions, measures the reach and effectiveness of localized marketing campaigns, and surfaces opportunities to improve how Uber operates. It is impossible to be at Uber and not feel the presence of Data.
Needless to say, as a member of Data Metrics Platform Engineering at Uber, you will be at the epicenter of an amazing company experiencing extreme growth and solving the challenges that come with scaling rapidly. Accessibility of business insights/health requires access to key business metrics; quality of insight requires easy expressible/understandability of these metrics and timeliness computation of metrics – and everyone deserves accessibility to quality insights for both decision-making and reporting.
As a member of the Data Metrics Platform Engineering team, you will be doing just that- building a metrics platform that enables reliable, trustworthy, and approachable metrics delivered to thousands of Uber employees. Your software will model, curate and deliver reliable metrics, leveraging large volume of Uber data to power various platforms such as experimentation, business intelligence, marketplace etc.
Qualifications and Required Skills (or, in other words, your resume and your interview should speak to the following):
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering field (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc).
- Programming experience one or more application or systems languages (Java, Go, Scala, Python, C/C++, etc).
- Implemented Domain Specific Language (DSL) for expressing computing flow for SQL or computing engines (Storm, Samza etc) or business scenarios.
- Experience extending and implementing core functionality and libraries in data processing platforms (Hive/Pig UDFs, Spark / Spark SQL, Apache Samza, etc).
- Experience building pipelines from ingestion to delivery in critical data applications (Data Warehousing, Search, Real-time Dashboarding)
- Distributed Systems Design Experience – including understanding of distributed systems concepts and principles
- Strong algorithms / data structure experience
- An incredible desire to be part of a team that delivers impactful results every day.
- A commitment to writing understandable, maintainable, and reusable software.
- An innate desire to deliver and a strong sense of accountability for your work.
- Well versed in software and data design patterns.
- Willingness to learn new languages and methodologies.
- An enormous sense of ownership
Nice to Have Skills (it would be great if you could check some of these boxes!)
- Knowledge of designing highly expressible internal DSL on functional programming languages such as Scala, Clojure, Haskell etc.
- Have a significant background in functional programming, preferably in Java or Scala.
- Deep Knowledge of Parsing, AST, and Code Generation is highly desirable.
- Experience working on system internals of large scale distributed stream and batch data processing (Spark, Samza, Storm, YARN, Dataflow, Flink, Cascading etc).
- Strong understanding of different storage architectures and their appropriate application.
- Experience working with business partners and engineers to gather, understand, and bridge definitions and requirements.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees get Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top