Counsel, Patents & Intellectual Property
We’re disrupting the transportation and logistics space and growing in the U.S. and internationally! We are currently searching for a Patent Counsel with deep expertise in patent law and a strong technical background to join the Uber Legal Team. You will report to the Director, IP and be based at Uber’s San Francisco office. Do you want to bring your expertise to Uber? Take on what might be the best job you’ll ever have? Read on…
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Work closely with the IP team on Patent and IP matters for Uber and its entities around the world.
- Interact with product development and engineering teams, to develop IP strategies and pursue patents on critical technologies, with outside counsel.
- Assist with IP due diligence efforts in connection with potential acquisitions of patents or companies.
- Review agreements involving technology and intellectual property matters, including drafting intellectual property agreements, licenses or clauses.
- Help educate company employees on IP and the patent process.
- Provide timely counsel on a variety of IP issues, including patent, copyright, trademark and open source issues.
- Serve as an on-the-ground liaison and representative of the IP team for our engineering teams.
- Develop, coordinate and review patent research and analysis projects, including prior art searches, competitive intelligence, landscapes, patentability analyses, non-infringement analyses, invalidity analyses. Develop an in-depth understanding of competitor products.
- Help develop Uber’s worldwide patent position including managing and leveraging outside patent counsel, performing quality review of patent preparation and prosecution, coordinating invention harvesting, and conducting patentability searches and portfolio analyses.
WHO YOU ARE
- At least 3-5 years in-house at a similarly sized technology company and / or law firm experience at mid to large size law firm, with in-house experience strongly preferred. More experienced attorneys will also be considered, and level and pay will be commensurate with experience.
- Broad IP experience, including patent prosecution, transactional/licensing/open source, patent litigation, and trade secret. Trademark and copyright experience a plus.
- Strong academic credentials and law degree from a top law school.
- Background in computer science, computer engineering, physics, mathematics, or electrical engineering preferred.
- Possess excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Patent Attorney registered with the USPTO.
- California State Bar member preferred.
- Employees are given Uber credits each month
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top