Copywriter - ANZ (Contract)
Uber is evolving the way the world moves. By seamlessly connecting riders to drivers through our app, we make cities more accessible, opening up more possibilities for riders and more business for drivers. From our founding in 2009 to our launches in over 450+ cities today, Uber’s rapidly expanding global presence continues to bring people and their cities closer. If you want to have a huge impact on your city and the world, this is the place to be!
About the Role
If you have the right stuff to join our team, you’ll work among other exceptionally talented staff in a fast-paced, rapidly growing, highly collaborative environment. From product launches to marketing promotions, you will have the opportunity to give a local voice to Uber’s communications.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
Your writing means business.
You appreciate the art of excellent copy, but you know it’s not about creating fine art. You create communications to inform and improve user experiences, but more importantly to persuade and elicit specific actions. Your approach is rooted in bottom-line thinking, using analytics to guide creative decisions and support arguments. You value achieving business objectives over accruing portfolio pieces.
You iterate quickly and respect deadlines.
When it’s time to get locked in, you know how to move fast while still being meticulous and conscientious in your work. You know a first draft is never a final draft, so you work through multiple rounds efficiently — thinking all the way through the experience, developing a solid foundation, tinkering, collecting feedback, and refining. You do whatever it takes to keep projects on track while keeping messaging on target.
You dig deep and you go broad.
Exploration is inherent in your process. You devour research to become a subject matter expert, then you come up with a range of concepts for even a single banner ad (and everything else you work on). You think through all the strengths and weaknesses of a communication strategy, and have thoughtful answers to every question. If you’re presenting five headline options, you write at least fifty. There’s strong rationale behind every recommendation you make, because you tried it a million other ways. Even when you think you have the solution right away, you try honestly to prove yourself wrong.
You are equal parts content strategist and copywriter.
Clever phrases and creative concepts aren’t all you care about. You’re passionate about developing sound strategy, determining message hierarchies, and developing user experiences that communicate exactly the right message to the right person at the right time. You don’t sacrifice clarity or simplicity to protect your own precious gems.
You know the medium matters.
When you write content, you think about how it will be consumed. You understand how desktop vs. mobile, print vs. digital, and push vs. pull affects the way people read and retain information. You’re skilled at telling the same story across multiple channels in a way that’s integrated yet optimized for every touchpoint.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong conceptual skills and big-picture thinking
- 3+ years of copywriting/content strategy experience
- Experience writing for top consumer brands
- A proven ability to apply a well-defined brand voice
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in English, Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field
- Employees are given Uber credits every month!
- Monthly gym reimbursement.
- Ground floor opportunity with the Regional Operations Team; shape the strategic direction of the company. At Uber you’ll wear many hats, work on a huge variety of projects, and help define your role and Uber’s email marketing strategy as we continue to expand and innovate around the globe!
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top