Control Systems Engineer - Vehicle Controls
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As a controls systems engineer you will develop and implement real-time functionality for safety-critical embedded applications.
What You'll Do
- Validate in-vehicle controller performance against functional requirements
- Analyze, sustain, and improve existing controls software.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams for efficient delivery using standard methodologies
What You'll Need
- Understanding of control theory and experience with its vehicle systems applications
- Real-time control functionality implementation in C/C++
- Relevant Matlab/Simulink tools proficiency
- Proficiency in languages and tools such as Python, Vector
- Industrial experience (automotive preferred)
- Ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams
- Flexibility to take on tasks outside of own comfort zone – self starter in a dynamic work environment
- Engineering degree in a relevant field of study (control systems emphasis preferred)
Bonus Points If
- Go-getter - We're looking for team members who flourish by applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions
- You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness - You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point
- You strive on showing that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time
- Versatility - In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance
- Passion - You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're confident it's correct
- You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage
- A great teammate - You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
- You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement
- Design and eye for business - You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products
- Whether you're working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
The controls systems team strives to achieve the perfect harmony between software and hardware through efficient solutions to complex problems related to self driving, including controls theory, simulations and vehicle systems.
See Inside the Office of Uber
Uber is an on-demand car service that’s shaking up transportation systems around the world. By solving some of the world’s biggest problems, Uber hopes to create a future where there is limitless freedom of movement for people and things across the globe. Through passion, optimism, and curiosity for building solutions, the team at Uber strives to learn together, solve together, build together, and ultimately move the world forward together.
Back to top