Communications Manager, Engineering
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
The most successful technology companies are brilliant storytellers, who can effectively engage with technical and non-technical audiences alike, helping them understand the inner workings and benefits of the products they use. Proactive, transparent storytelling empowers customers and other stakeholders to make informed decisions and builds greater trust with surrounding communities.
Our team is responsible for telling Uber's story, whether it's transforming how we get around town and the lives of people who value independent, flexible work; or cutting congestion in cities and complementing public transportation. It's about building deep relationships with the key news outlets and journalists, finding new ways to tell our story, and working with the engineering team to develop both technical and consumer campaigns that improve public understanding of all the work behind a product's magic.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Lead Uber's tech/innovation communications strategy - from identifying our unique engineering achievements and capabilities to creating proactive campaigns, media training spokespeople, and coaching technical teams on how to effectively tell an engineering story to various audiences
- Establish Uber's profile with the media and third parties, specifically with technology and engineering-focused outlets
- Tell our innovation story—from network engineering and systems design to AI and machine learning—in creative, inspiring ways that resonate with journalists, consumers, and technical communities
- Combine issues management with ongoing proactive comms campaigns;
- Manage relationships with executives, engineers, journalists, opinion makers and third parties
- Provide strategic comms support for the company's business and policy goals
What You'll Need
To succeed you'll need to be:
- A great advocate: We're looking for people who can distill complex technical ideas into simple, intellectually credible narratives. Strong writing skills, creativity, and passion for the nuts and bolts of tech are musts
- A self starter: You'll be shaping how we tell our engineering story to the world, requiring the ability to develop relationships, plan, and execute autonomously. Issues move fast in our world so you'll need to be highly adaptable and calm under pressure
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals and ensure the necessary stakeholders are engaged. It's why we're looking for well organized people who enjoy working with others to get stuff done—and who can create a cross-functional comms programs across multiple technical teams
- Have 8+ years of experience in communications, PR, and/or journalism, as well as with scale computing technologies and open source technologies/organizations
Back to top