Code Health Engineer
At the ATG we are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in San Francisco, Phoenix, Toronto, and Pittsburgh, the Advanced Technologies Group comprises Uber's self-driving engineering team. We are dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work doesn't end with transporting people. We are also developing self-driving truck technology to move goods more safely and cost effectively around the world.
Are you a great developer who enjoys testing? Are you an independent problem solver with a high level of technical curiosity? Are you willing to put in lots of testing time to help bring new technologies from prototype to production? Uber ATG is hiring software engineers to build our Code Health team and help bring our ideas to market quickly, without sacrificing the sanity of our developers.
What you'll be doing as a Code Health Engineer
- Help to develop, support and enable the best software engineering practices across a large software engineering team.
- Develop automated and manual tooling and services to measure, track, and implement software quality in a large code base.
- Be an in-house authority on software quality practices, from development workflows and debugging to testability and design patterns; help to spread your knowledge and expertise to the organization as a whole.
- Work efficiently and establish relationships with distributed teams located at Uber ATG offices in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto. Occasional travel to Uber ATG locations is expected and required.
We're looking for the following in an applicant
- Experience designing and coding unit tests for complex cyber-physical systems
- Familiarity with developing test plans, stress-testing software, and designing large-scale integration tests
- Prior experience programming in C/C++/Python
- Prior experience developing automated testing pipelines and release management systems
- Familiarity with the isolation, documentation, and tracking of issues systematically
- Comfort with analysis of test results and automated reporting systems
- Proficiency in communicating with vehicle technicians, software engineers, and executives
We're also hoping for applicants for whom the following terms apply
- Self-starter. We're looking for software engineers who flourish with learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and dynamic business environment.
- Driven. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You flourish with the belief that quality doesn't have to be compromised to achieve speed - you can have both at the same time.
- Versatile. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passionate. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're sure it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, excellent documentation, and proper test coverage.
- Great teammate. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Employees receive a monthly stipend of credits every month, good for both Uber and UberEATS.
- The rare opportunity to be a part of the biggest paradigm shift in transportation since the invention of the automobile itself.
- Smart, friendly, engaged co-workers.
- An inclusive, cooperative, and diverse workplace culture.
- Being treated as an autonomous developer capable of making their own decisions.
- Lots of opportunities for personal and professional development, which is encouraged.
- Employee-only rides in self-driving vehicles (where and when available).
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top