Chief of Staff, Advanced Technology Group
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
The Chief of Staff role requires an exceptional leader -- one who knows how to lead from principle and respect-based influence rather than authority -- and who brings a great deal of wisdom, judgment and the ability to grasp supremely technical concepts. Ultimately, the role exists to achieve leverage for the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG) Leadership Team by creating and leading thoughtful, lightweight, highly-efficient discussions and processes across a broad spectrum of situations (e.g. planning, product development, internal and external stakeholder management), driving needed change through the team and broader company and communicating efficiently to align people and teams. Beyond understanding of how the tech works, most importantly the Chief of Staff must possess a deep understanding of how Uber ATG rolls as a member and extension of the Advanced Technologies Group Leadership Team.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Carry the Uber ATG culture as an extension of the Head of ATG and ATG Leadership Team.
- Manage ATG Staff meetings and offsites, including planning, agenda, notes and execution of action items.
- Drive execution of action items agreed upon by Head of ATG and his direct staff and broader team.
- Interface to partners at Uber, as needed, on behalf of ATG LT.
- Drive planning process to completion in partnership with Product and Engineering organizations.
- Create materials for Board of Directors, Executive Leadership Team, All Hands and various other ATG LT presentations.
What You'll Need
- Proven ability to work seamlessly with a variety of personalities and functional disciplines.
- Exceptional and demonstrated business and product judgment. In spite of this role being administrative in nature, the CoS needs to have strong independent product and business judgment, i.e. be "right a lot" when it comes to making calls in these domains. Without this, much of the administrative side will become a garbage-in-garbage-out scenario.
- Deep technical knowledge. Given the highly technical nature of the work done at the ATG, the CoS needs to be very technically savvy.
- Strong operator. We need a leader who is great at creating structure, organization and (lightweight) process and getting everyone aligned within them. Strong prioritization skill and discipline is critical.
- Exhibits optimistic leadership and resilience. The CoS must look around at the sea of Uber's execution challenges and see them as a great puzzle to be solved. We should never hear this person complain or commiserate or talk about how everything is "broken;" rather, he/she must seek out problems and solve them, continually striving to make Uber better, stronger, faster. He/she must also be naturally enthusiastic to the point that they infect others, which ups everyone's game. Must have a bias for action and accountability.
- Customer Obsessed. This person must be motivated by doing the right thing for our customers, externally and internally. She/he must establish and operate from first principles rather than being an order taker. This is a part of the judgment required to succeed in this role, and it also means this person will innovate in the domain of making Uber work better. He/she will not only "take the hills," with respect to the inner workings of Uber, but also identify the hills to take, i.e. be proactive in identifying opportunities to improve the way we work, prioritize appropriately and jump in without prodding.
- Highly detail-oriented, i.e. she/he owns the details. This role requires an unusual degree of attention to detail. From the precise specification of a process to getting the wording just right in document to articulating a company value, where some might get away with operating at a higher level, this person needs to go all the way down "to the metal" to truly finish things in a way that sticks. This person must crave getting his/her hands dirty, be quick to create a deck, doc or spreadsheet and be obsessive and quick about completing it thoroughly in a high-quality way, and then making sure it's 100% correct.
- Academically, given that we wish to graduate Chiefs of Staff into product leadership roles, we apply the same criteria: candidates should have an undergraduate computer science or equivalent degree from a top institution. Advanced technical degrees are not required, but can make a candidate more interesting, e.g. an MS or Ph.D. in economics or statistics would bring depth that can be leveraged in the Marketplace Dynamics area. An MBA is not required.
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
Back to top