Backend Software Engineer (Vilnius)
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the team
The Observability Vilnius team is part of the Observability group within Uber Infrastructure. We are charged with delivering platforms in two specific domains at Uber: On-Call Experience and Host-Level Monitoring. Our team works with the rest of the Observability group to build the tools to monitor physical infrastructure at Uber and build applications that our engineers across Uber use to ensure On-call & Incident response processes are running properly.
What you'll do
The Observability Vilnius team works on a few full stack applications for supporting on-call engineers on their duties, monitoring, alerting and generally making sense of millions of hosts checks that are monitored at Uber.
As part of our team you'll focus primarily on the back-end of these applications along with a few other backend-end and full-stack engineers. Some of the work you'd be involved in includes:
- Building a platform for On-call, Incident Response and Incident review processes management.
- Building an open-source platform for host-level monitoring.
- Prototyping new features to make the lives our engineers at Uber easier.
- Putting the new features that work into production and ditching the ones that don't.
You'll generally help build out some of our existing tools, as well as craft new ones. We aspire to make most of our work open source, and prefer like minded team members who understand the balance of building software for use inside of Uber that also has a path for external use via open source.
Who you are
Generally, you'll do well on our team and enjoy the kind of projects we work on if you:
- Good programming skills in one of C++, Java, Python or Go, and an ability to pick up new ones.
- Experience in designing, building and maintaining highly scalable, reliable and fault-tolerant services that would support our unique rate-of-growth requirements.
- Experience with programming tools (e.g. version control).
- Experience in the Linux environment and a good understanding of its fundamentals and internals: filesystems and modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, etc.
- A good understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, application security, monitoring and storage systems.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
- Ability to keep yourself up-to-date with the latest technological trends.
- Being committed to quality, performance, and efficiency.
- Being able to thrive in a fast and growing environment where all hands are on deck, and consider no obstacle too big or too small.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- Monthly gym reimbursement.
- Full medical package to fit your needs.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Back to top