Backend Software Engineer - Payments (Amsterdam)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
What you'll do
- Did you know that Uber supports about 20 different payment methods? From credit card to PayPal, Alipay, Apple Pay and cash, our payments team's goal is to let people pay with their preferred payment method, worldwide and at Uber-scale.
- Uber's payments team is based in Amsterdam, at the heart of our international engineering efforts. As a member of our team, you will dig into the complex but rewarding world of money, and work to enhance the platform with third-party payment integrations. Here are some examples of technical challenges you may be solving:
- Full-stack approach. Each integration is unique and often requires a back-end, mobile and web component. You will be part of a cross-functional team which is developing the overall experience and architecture.
- Global scale. Despite being based in Amsterdam, we work on integration for the overall Uber platform. Those integrations include Alipay (300M users in China) and Paypal (173M users). Our systems facilitate the entirety of Uber's rider payments platform worldwide.
- Scale & reliability. Our solutions fuel Uber's always-on marketplace. Maintaining this platform at scale requires constant investment in security, reliability and monitoring tooling.
- Innovation. We create platforms: payments is a central initiative for Uber, and we are constantly innovating in this field.
What you'll need
- Excellent coding abilities. You have advanced knowledge of at least one programming language, and of OOP patterns. You've used programming tools (e.g. version control) and already have a couple of full stack projects completed. You have an intimate knowledge of the command line.
- Fast learner. We're looking for software engineers who perk up learning new technologies or a new partner API. You keep yourself up-to-date with the latest technological trends. You're eager for opportunities to try out new things.
- Speed and quality. You strive to prove that these are not mutually exclusive - that you can achieve both at the same time. You are committed to quality, performance, and efficiency.
- Ownership. You take pride in your work and thrive when you know it is done well. You pride yourself on thorough monitoring, concise up-to-date documentation, and adequate test coverage. You thrive in a fast and growing environment where all hands are on deck, and consider no obstacle too big or too small.
- To be a standout colleague. You believe that you can achieve more when you work in a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement. You want to work with different finance, mobile, product, design and fraud teams to create the best solution for Uber.
- Design and business insight. You thrive in an environment where you can uncover subtle details.Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details results in a delightful user experience.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network protocols, cache, Linux system administration, etc.) and how they impact the performance and reliability of your application.
- Experience with our technologies (Python, Go, Node, Kafka, Redis, etc.) is a plus, but not required.
- Experience working in systems handling high volume financial transactions is a plus.
- An open source profile (such as Github) with some neat projects is highly desirable.
- Breakfast and lunch onsite.
- Work in the very centre of Amsterdam!
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top