Automotive Occupant Packaging Engineer
At ATG, we are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto, the Advanced Technologies Group is comprised of Uber's self-driving engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work doesn't end with transporting people. We are also developing self-driving truck technology to move goods more safely and cost effectively around the world. We are working to make the process of moving people and goods safer and more efficient.
Do you enjoy technology? Are you an independent problem solver with a high level of technical curiosity? Are you willing to put in lots of good ideas to help bring new technologies from prototype to production? UATC is hiring highly skilled mechanical engineers who have great attention to detail, are experts solving problems, have a deep passion for cars, and will maintain a calm professional attitude under all situations. Travel to various locations will be required.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Work with safety engineers, regulatory specialists, and designers to rapidly innovate in the transportation space
- Analyze new vehicle occupancy and cargo concepts working with various engineering disciplines to determine legality and feasibility
- Develop digital (RAMSIS or similar) safety and comfort models that quickly inform vehicle layout, seating and closure strategies
- Develop physical models and mockups that inform vehicle layouts, seating and closure decisions
- Create and conduct ergonomic studies for ingress/egress, comfort, occupant rider experience, and platform benchmarking
- Identify vehicle package targets and develop alternative solutions balancing trade-offs (comfort, function, weight, cost, manufacturing feasibility, etc.)
- Benchmark and catalogue current market vehicles for safety, ergonomics and occupant transportation
- Formulate and analyze strategies around transportation occupancy
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Minimum 10 years of direct experience at an OEM design studio or Tier 1 supplier design team
- Minimum 5 years experience in vehicle level occupant package
- Deep knowledge of automotive development processes, along with the complex criteria involved
- Extensive vehicle systems, attributes, and functional hardware knowledge
- Recent hands on CATIA V5 assembly and mechanical design experience
- High levels of proficiency in digital ergonomic modeling solutions like RAMSIS
- Experience creating vehicle mockups and conducting studies therein
- Outstanding communication skills
- Passion for best in class human experience
- Proven ability to bring concept solutions into volume production
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top