Android Engineer - Uber Beacon and Advanced Programs
Uber is inventing the future of transportation, and the Advanced Programs team focuses specifically on next-gen hardware and software solutions to advance Uber’s mission in light of paradigm shifts in technology — initiatives include Uber Beacon (https://newsroom.uber.com/beacon/) for better pickups and Uber Elevate (uber.com/elevate) for on-demand air transportation.
Uber Beacon, a device that goes on a driver’s windshield and uses color-pairing technology to help drivers and riders more quickly connect at night, particularly at crowded venues. With this technology, riders can personalize their pickup by selecting from an endless number of colors for the Beacon to glow on their driver’s vehicle. And it’s instantly recognizable with the same design as the rider app icon.
The engineer in this role would lead all mobile engineering efforts for Beacon across both rider and driver app, as well as Bluetooth interaction with the Beacon device, as we scale from four markets to a large number of cities worldwide
Beacon’s mission is to perfect the end-to-end experience for both riders and drivers across the globe, focusing on the Pickup. We enjoy the challenge of devising sophisticated new capabilities and then weaving them into experiences that feel straightforward and simple.
As a mobile engineer on the team you will design and implement core user facing features in the Uber rider and partner applications. You should have a passion for delightful mobile user experiences and a commitment to push the boundaries of what can been done in this regard. You will also participate and guide all phases of the product lifecycle including: ideation, specification, implementation, data collection/internalization, and iteration. We are carving out a bright future for our company at the primary interface of the application and our users. We would love for you to join us.
- BS/MS/Phd in Computer Science or related field
- Strong background of shipping high-quality product features
- Strong expertise in Java
- Dependency Injection (Dagger 2)
- RESTful Networking: (Retrofit/OKHttp)
- Unit Testing: JUnit, Roboelectric, Mockito
- Mobile Analytics/Reporting
- Mobile Experiments
- Knowledge of the principles of accessibility and ability to build products that are accessible to users with disabilities, a plus
We’re making transportation as reliable as running water for everyone, everywhere. We need your brains and passion to make that vision a reality!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- Recurring happy hours and team events.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top