Software Engineer - Availability
Twitch is the world’s leading social video platform and community for gamers. Each month, more than 100 million community members gather to watch and talk about video games with more than 1.7 million broadcasters. Twitch’s live and video on demand platform caters to the entire video game industry, including game developers, publishers, media outlets, events, casual content creators, and the entire esports scene.
Twitch's Availability Management Team is responsible for building, operating, and evangelizing key services used by Twitch's other engineering teams to monitor, debug, and improve their systems in production.
We use a combination of open source, proprietary, and home-grown tools and services to provide these services.
We run these services at enormous scale, dealing with thousands of hosts, dozens of services, and data streams with millions of events a second.
As an engineer for the Availability Management Team, you will be focusing on developing and operating these services and tools, making sure that they are reliable, scalable, and easy for our engineering teams to adopt.
- Evaluating, implementing and evangelizing tools and services in the following areas:
- Time series databases supporting millions of metrics and millions of data points a second.
- Event and logging pipelines capable of processing and alerting on millions of events and logs/second.
- Dashboarding and reporting tools that give insight into both real-time and historical operational status of systems.
- Tools that help to automate and manage our incident response and remediation processes.
- As an operationally focused engineer, you will be:
- Implementing services, tools, and libraries in Go, Ruby and Python.
- Provisioning, deployment, and operating these services at scale in production environments, both in EC2 and on bare metal.
- Creating high-quality runbooks and operational tooling so that we can maintain the highest availability for these systems.
- Participating in the on-call rotation for the above tools and services.
- Creating adoption of these services by writing high-quality documentation, dogfooding them on our own systems, and evangelizing them to other teams.
- Mentoring engineers and conducting code and architectural reviews.
- A background in developing, operating, and troubleshooting large scale, highly available systems.
- Familiarity with running web services at scale.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- A computer science degree or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of software development and operational experience.
- Working knowledge of Unix/Linux.
- 5+ years of software development and operational experience.
- Experience being on-call and troubleshooting high-availability services.
- Experience with full-stack web development.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following languages: Go, Ruby, Python.
- Experience with open-source or proprietary monitoring, alerting, and logging systems such as:Graphite, Grafana, Nagios, Ganglia, ELK
- Experience working with AWS technologies such as EC2, Kinesis and Cloudwatch.
- Experience with configuration management and provisioning tools such as Puppet, Chef and Terraform.
- Full benefits, including medical, dental, vision and life
- 401(k) savings plan with a company match
- Catered daily lunch and dinners (and hearty breakfasts three times a week)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Monthly in-office massages
- Corporate gym membership
- Commuter Benefits
- Flexible time off policy
- Weekly happy hours and opportunity to attend one gaming event or tournament
- Top of the line technology to help you build your own workspace
Twitch is the world’s leading video platform and community for gamers, with more than 100 million visitors per month. We connect gamers from around the world by allowing them to broadcast, watch, and chat with each other. Twitch’s live and on-demand video platform forms the backbone of a distribution network for video game broadcasters including pro players, tournaments, leagues, developers and gaming media organizations. Twitch is leading a revolution in gaming culture, turning gameplay into an immersive video experience. Learn more at http://twitch.tv.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top