Category Leader - Twitch Commerce
Twitch is looking for a savvy business leader with an entrepreneurial spirit to lead a new Commerce business at Twitch. This individual will serve as the business and marketing leader for our team and will help to define and execute the vision, strategy and day-to-day tactics that we employ to maximize the performance of the business. Commerce is an emerging channel with high growth potential and consequently we seek an individual that thinks big and is comfortable operating across functional lines to identify and seize opportunities using tools (product selection, pricing, marketing, etc.) and best practices from a wide array of disciplines (retail, finance, technology, etc.).
The role requires a candidate with strong business acumen that is an exceptional problem solver who is excited to roll-up their sleeves and master the details. Further, the successful candidate will be a data-driven, analytical person that is comfortable collecting, analyzing and acting upon relevant financial and business information to identify opportunities and drive better performance. The business leader will thrive in a fast-paced, data-driven environment and will have a track record of successful negotiation and overall relationship building and management.
- P&L Responsibility: Ownership of the business performance for a portfolio of Commerce categories with shared accountability for the full Commerce business. The candidate will be responsible for tracking, forecasting and reporting upon performance and helping to set aggressive business goals during the planning process.
- Oversee Business Development, Strategy, and Execution: This individual will be responsible for working with the Commerce VP to lead the development of short and long-term business goals for customer acquisition, engagement, and retention. They will define the strategy to hit those goals and execute the day-to-day tactics comprising the strategy.
- Lead Cross-Functional Collaboration: This individual will work closely with a variety of internal and external partners to exceed goals for shared business objectives.
- Drive strategic negotiations: Work with external vendors and represent Twitch when meeting with Senior Executives from top vendors.
- Be a Leader: Be a mentor and leader for business development. Lead by example and provide clear direction, continual feedback and help position your team for success. Develop a high performing team through regular coaching and by creating professional development opportunities.
- Drive business case development: Bring together customer insights, research, financial data and analytics to develop a perspective on revenue and profitability potential for new to market initiatives.
- Conduct market research, in partnership with our research team, to uncover key customer insights that drive positioning for our existing products as well as ideas for new features or benefits.
- Synthesize market intelligence & customer insights – be the expert on our customers, who they are and what segments we serve; be the expert on the competition and the broader digital marketplace.
- Drive marketing strategy: Create marketing plans for products; Own branding, positioning, messaging and creative, across the customer journey.
- Lead product rollout marketing – Develop the strategy and manage the marketing implementation that drives product engagement. Proactively identify and resolve issues that may impair the organization’s ability to meet its goals. Manage the execution of initiatives from idea through launch, while setting and continuously managing the right expectations with all relevant stakeholders, including:
- Communicating marketing plans and strategy to senior leadership.
- Working with the Product Management team to align on features.
- Partnering with Finance, Analytics and Data Science to define and measure success.
- Bachelor’s minimum; MBA or further will be advantageous.
- 6+ years of strong experience running a business by the numbers using complex data sets to develop effective strategies and successfully execute the resulting business plan
- 2+ years managing a P&L
- 2+ years of experience leading and managing a team
- 8+ years of relevant experience in retail or e-commerce buying
- Proven negotiation skills and vendor-management experience
- Technology affinity and track record of employing systems to drive simplification and change.
- Demonstrable ability to build lasting relationships and conduct negotiations with leading global and local brands to obtain preferable terms and win:win solutions
- Able to balance strategy with strong operational skills - able to understand, deconstruct, streamline and optimize complex, large-scale business processes
- Excellent business judgment, with a track record of generating ideas and solving problems independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills with the ability to express thoughts logically and succinctly. Demonstrated active listening skills, highly consultative and solutions-oriented.
- Experience managing or selling products on a marketplace platform
- Entrepreneurial drive and demonstrated ability to take ownership and achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Experience with presenting to and influencing at all levels within a large, cross-functional organization
- Experience working on cross-functional teams to drive internal process and strategy improvement
- MBA strongly preferred
- Experience influencing buyers in the development and execution of strategies and growth plans
- Comprehensive knowledge of the vendors that make up the gaming market segments.
- Experience in a category management, product management, project management, vendor management or other applicable role; preferably within E-commerce
- Demonstrated ability to deliver business results while leveraging critical inputs provided by partners outside of your direct control. The use of both formal & informal management and influencing skills are fundamental to success in this role.
Twitch is the world’s leading video platform and community for gamers, with more than 100 million visitors per month. We connect gamers from around the world by allowing them to broadcast, watch, and chat with each other. Twitch’s live and on-demand video platform forms the backbone of a distribution network for video game broadcasters including pro players, tournaments, leagues, developers and gaming media organizations. Twitch is leading a revolution in gaming culture, turning gameplay into an immersive video experience. Learn more at: http://twitch.tv
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top