Technical Lead, Developer Experience
- Golden, CO
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio has over 20 products that enable developers to build communications solutions into their custom workflows and apps. But communications are complicated, asynchronous systems and things can go wrong in very unexpected ways that a simple try/catch block can't always detect. And add on a contact center product like Flex--which is built on top of our platform primitives like Voice, SMS, and TaskRouter--and you have a dependency map that makes it incredibly hard to debug when something goes wrong.
With all of these products in an "always be deploying" mindset, our customers need to know when we're going to change things that might affect them. The Transparency team at Twilio exists to provide customers a best-in-class developer experience when debugging distributed systems and flawless communications about our ever-evolving product lineup.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of technical decision making and distributed systems architecture. They also have:
- A passion for Developer Experience. They provide feedback when they find incorrect docs and aren't afraid to open issues and PRs against public SDKs.
- Deep knowledge of 2+ object-oriented, compiled programming languages and 2+ interpreted languages.
- 7+ years experience owning, operating, deploying, and monitoring cloud-based RESTful microservices at scale; and have worked with technologies like Chef, Docker, or Terraform.
- 3+ years mentoring junior engineers with code reviews, software engineering best practices, and collaborative design.
- A roll-up-the-sleeves mentality for digging into multiple codebases to get to the root of a problem.
- Front-end experience with React, Redux, Typescript, or related technologies.
- A preference for collaboration -- they find success in learning from others and helping them be successful.
- Opinions and a high bar for software quality and availability, and connect the dots between those metrics and your customers' success.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar experience
As a Technical Lead, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: You will write Engineering Design documents in collaboration with Product, and collaborate on product spec and user stories documents. You will also write thorough and well-scoped tickets with clear definitions of done for the rest of the engineering team.
- DRAW THE OWL AND WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: There is no instruction book for a lot of what the Transparency team is trying to solve. There might be some industry best practices, but we frequently have to wear our customer's shoes to propose solutions that meet their needs.
- BE AN OWNER: As the Technical Lead, you are not only responsible for the architecture of the system, you are oncall for it. You care deeply about your services' performance and quality, and measure those characteristics rigorously with data.
- EMPOWER OTHERS AND BE INCLUSIVE: The technical lead is the primary mentor for the team. You will spend much of your time setting standards, reviewing PRs, challenging the team to think big picture about what we build, and making sure all voices are heard.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: You will have opinions about the tallest nails of technical risk our team carries, and can prioritize that risk against feature development and work to keep other services running.
Transparency is a unique type of team: we are both a platform team that ingests data from other product teams and a product team ourselves that builds tools to present that data to customers. And we do all of this at a massive scale. Internally, we empower and educate product teams with opinions on what good Developer Experience is. Externally, we push the envelope of how customers find out about issues and changes to their Twilio account. Joining this team will challenge you to think outside the box about technologies like data streaming and event-driven programming.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 1801 California St. in Denver, CO. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, access to our building fitness center, monthly All Hands and more.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top