Sr. Software Engineer - Insights
About the job:
The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud API’s and with on-demand global reach. Twilio is therefore challenged with abstracting away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network and carrier relationships throughout the world.
As a member of Voice Insights team you will participate in the development of groundbreaking capabilities in the communications industry, leveraging cutting edge technologies to gain unprecedented visibility into communication networks worldwide as well as create predictive AI capabilities that make the Twilio platform more intelligent.
This position is not for a data engineer, but rather a distributed systems engineer. You will contribute to the development and operations of a large-scale data pipeline leveraging technologies such as Java, Scala, Kafka, Spark, Elasticsearch and Cassandra, so you should be someone with a strong distributed systems background with demonstrable experience in asynchronous and multithreaded programming. Experience processing data at scale is a big plus.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Architects and Engineering leaders to define, architect and build new features. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services in a production environment. Make DevOps a primary concern to ensure services are reliable, scalable, manageable and supportable.
- Raise the bar on team performance. Enable feature velocity while maintaining quality by writing unit, functional, load and performance tests.
- Contribute to the R&D roadmap for Voice Insights, including continuous evaluation of industry standards, techniques, tools and trends. Ensure Twilio develops and maintains an industry competitive advantage.
- Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
- Minimum 7 years hands-on experience developing distributed systems. You have designed and developed horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems. Direct contributions to a commercial offering in a production environment is a must.
- Extensive operational knowledge of systems. If you have worked through a separate operations team, then you should be able to discuss how you enabled management of the system.
- Proficient working knowledge of modern Java. Scala is a big plus.
- Experience with IP networking and application-level protocols, including an understanding of end-end networks and factors affecting performance. You must be able to troubleshoot application problems at a protocol level.
- Well-versed in agile processes, continuous integration and test automation.
- Capable of operating from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. Ideally, you have experience in a production DevOps environment. Hands on experience with cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services, OpenStack or Azure is a plus.
Please submit a cover letter with your application explaining your experiences on a substantial project, with focus on challenges you faced and how they were overcome.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top