Sr. Software Engineer - Cloud Services
The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach. Twilio is therefore challenged with abstracting away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network, carrier integrations and relationships throughout the world.
About the job:
As a member of our communications teams you will implement real-time voice services based on protocols such as SIP, RTP and WebRTC. To take it to scale, you will be developing a complex distributed platform with points of presence globally and will be concerned with availability, throughput, latency, media fidelity as well as real-time considerations. There will be a significant data component so you will be working with distributed SQL and NoSQL databases and caches. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Architects and Engineering leaders to define, architect and build new customer-facing features.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services in a distributed production environment. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Drive quality by writing unit, functional, load and performance tests.
- Work closely with DevOps engineers to ensure services are reliable, scalable, manageable and supportable. Develop diagnostic and troubleshooting tools made available via our developer portal and to our customer support organization.
- Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title. Lead architecture, design and code reviews as well as mentor junior engineers.
- Minimum 5 years hands-on experience developing and scaling complex distributed systems based on Java, C++ or .NET technologies. You are an expert in at least one web stack and framework.
- Extensive experience scaling production backend systems. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems. You have scaled data tiers employing a variety of SQL/NoSQL database and caching technologies.
- Hands on experience with cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services, OpenStack or Azure.
- Master of agile processes, continuous integration and test automation.
- Capable of operating from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services.
- Ideally, you have experience in a production DevOps environment.
If you are not experienced in communications, no worries, you will learn. We are seeking engineers who have solved complex problems at scale and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
Twilio makes communications easy and powerful. With Twilio's platform, businesses can make communications relevant and contextual by embedding real-time communication and authentication capabilities directly into their software applications. Twilio gives businesses the ability to innovate, prototype, create, and connect with their customers at the right time and in the right way. Founded in 2008, Twilio is a public company based in San Francisco, California with other offices around the world.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST
Back to top