Sr. Software Engineer - API
- Build new tools and services from scratch, all stages from designing architecture through deploying functioning services and tools.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services across all development environments including production.
- Build highly scalable server-side technologies using open source software.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively across engineering teams.
- Effective at API design and enforcing guidelines and principles
- Write quality, maintainable code with extensive test coverage in a fast-paced professional software engineering environment. Primary languages are Python, and Java.
- Write helper libraries in many languages including Python, Java, Ruby, C#, PHP, and Node.
- Perform effective code and architectural reviews.
- API Design - You will be on the API team. You must know the difference between REST and HTTP RPC. Ideally, you have designed, built, and maintained a REST or HTTP RPC API for a SaaS, PaaS, or IaaS company. You care about object modeling, semantics, and backward compatibility.
- Polyglot Language Development - Our service and tools are written in Python and Java. We value good object oriented design. We are also responsible for the development and maintenance of Twilio's client SDKs for Python, Java, Node, Ruby, C#, and PHP. It is important that you have a good grasp of a variety of software languages.
- Scale - The Twilio API services billions of API requests a week with a max latency of 200ms and P95 latency of 100ms. We need engineers that know how to write performant code that scales horizontally.
- HTTP / Network Stack - The API is an edge service that fronts downstream services. HTTP is our network protocol. You should know RFC 2616 and all facets of the protocol including common headers, response codes, and methods. You must be adept at debugging and troubleshooting network issues in production environments.
- Distributed systems - We are a global telecom built in the cloud. We value systems that are resilient, elastic and horizontally scalable. All our engineers are CAP-aware and know how to design, build, monitor, and debug distributed systems.
- Service Oriented Architecture - Twilio's architecture is service oriented. We operate a complex global platform that is composed of discrete front end, middleware, and backend services. Experience building and operating micro services that adhere to strict SLAs is critical.
- Mature Software Development - Security and quality are paramount to the success of Twilio and the API team. No cowhands, please! We highly value writing clear testable code. If you don't write tests or think they are unimportant then you will not be a good fit for this team.
- Agile - We value the ability to ship excellent software quickly and frequently. A proven ability to work on closely-knit teams using Agile methodologies such as Scrum is highly valued.
- Passion - Passionate. Persistent. Creative. You find clever ways around problems, or just plow through them. You are entrepreneurial, and want to get things done. You have high aptitude, and always seek new challenges.
- You’ve built an API for a Saas, PaaS, or IaaS company.
- You know more than one style of programming whether it's functional, reactive, idiomatic, or object-oriented.
- You know what the reactive manifesto is and have built reactive applications.
- You embrace asynchrony in your designs.
- You know what the 10K problem is.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top