Sr. Software Engineer - API
- Build new tools and services from scratch, all stages from designing architecture through deploying functioning services and tools.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services across all development environments including production.
- Build highly scalable server-side technologies using open source software.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively across engineering teams.
- Effective at API design and enforcing guidelines and principles
- Write quality, maintainable code with extensive test coverage in a fast-paced professional software engineering environment. Primary languages are Python, and Java.
- Write helper libraries in many languages including Python, Java, Ruby, C#, PHP, and Node.
- Perform effective code and architectural reviews.
- API Design - You will be on the API team. You must know the difference between REST and HTTP RPC. Ideally, you have designed, built, and maintained a REST or HTTP RPC API for a SaaS, PaaS, or IaaS company. You care about object modeling, semantics, and backward compatibility.
- Polyglot Language Development - Our service and tools are written in Python and Java. We value good object oriented design. We are also responsible for the development and maintenance of Twilio's client SDKs for Python, Java, Node, Ruby, C#, and PHP. It is important that you have a good grasp of a variety of software languages.
- Scale - The Twilio API services billions of API requests a week with a max latency of 200ms and P95 latency of 100ms. We need engineers that know how to write performant code that scales horizontally.
- HTTP / Network Stack - The API is an edge service that fronts downstream services. HTTP is our network protocol. You should know RFC 2616 and all facets of the protocol including common headers, response codes, and methods. You must be adept at debugging and troubleshooting network issues in production environments.
- Distributed systems - We are a global telecom built in the cloud. We value systems that are resilient, elastic and horizontally scalable. All our engineers are CAP-aware and know how to design, build, monitor, and debug distributed systems.
- Service Oriented Architecture - Twilio's architecture is service oriented. We operate a complex global platform that is composed of discrete front end, middleware, and backend services. Experience building and operating micro services that adhere to strict SLAs is critical.
- Mature Software Development - Security and quality are paramount to the success of Twilio and the API team. No cowhands, please! We highly value writing clear testable code. If you don't write tests or think they are unimportant then you will not be a good fit for this team.
- Agile - We value the ability to ship excellent software quickly and frequently. A proven ability to work on closely-knit teams using Agile methodologies such as Scrum is highly valued.
- Passion - Passionate. Persistent. Creative. You find clever ways around problems, or just plow through them. You are entrepreneurial, and want to get things done. You have high aptitude, and always seek new challenges.
- You’ve built an API for a Saas, PaaS, or IaaS company.
- You know more than one style of programming whether it's functional, reactive, idiomatic, or object-oriented.
- You know what the reactive manifesto is and have built reactive applications.
- You embrace asynchrony in your designs.
- You know what the 10K problem is.
Twilio makes communications easy and powerful. With Twilio's platform, businesses can make communications relevant and contextual by embedding real-time communication and authentication capabilities directly into their software applications. Twilio gives businesses the ability to innovate, prototype, create, and connect with their customers at the right time and in the right way. Founded in 2008, Twilio is a public company based in San Francisco, California with other offices around the world.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST
Back to top