Sr. Engineering Manager - Identity Team
Twilio is a cloud communication platform that allows developers to easily integrate high-performance video, voice, messaging, notification and wireless APIs at scale into their web and mobile apps. We have 1M developers today and add thousands more each day. Customers include Uber, WhatsApp, Zendesk, Box, Paypal and Instagram. You use us now... you probably just didn't know it.
About the job:
Twilio is seeking an Sr. Engineering Manager to lead our Customer Identity team in Tallinn, Estonia. This is a leadership role, reporting to the Sr. Director of Identity and Access Services, focused on managing and growing a team of engineers, providing people management to your direct reports, and driving projects to successful, on-time delivery through our agile process.
As Sr. Engineering Manager in the Identity organization, you will lead the engineering team through the implementation of a global platform of reliable, resilient, scalable and high performance Java-based microservices. These services are the source of truth for intrinsic customer information and are depended on by virtually every Twilio product and API. To take it to scale, you will be concerned with maintaining SLAs requiring very high availability and throughput at very low latency. There will be some data components so you will be working with distributed SQL and NoSQL databases and distributed caches. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
At Twilio, leaders leave teams as their legacies. We believe the teams they’ve built are the best measure of their success, and as Sr. Engineering Manager, you will have the greatest impact on the quality and success of your team. Through your talents and leadership, this is your opportunity to make the Customer Identity team excel.
- Be agile. Delivery is critical. Lead a team of passionate engineers on their journey to agile maturity. Serve as the team’s Scrummaster, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Work to enable a continuous integration environment. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Collaborate. Work closely with product managers, architects and tech leads to ensure your team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between developing new features and paying down technical debt. Foster strong working relationships with team customers and the rest of the R&D group.
- Deliver operational excellence. Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Establish best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Be relentless about success. Demand quality. Innovate. Maintain a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection. Never accept the status quo.
- Be adaptable. Embrace progress over perfection. Be pragmatic. Be flexible to changing circumstances. Balance long-term strategy with short-term objectives. Navigate uncharted waters. Manage uncertainty. Lead your team through stressful situations and tight schedules.
- Wear the customer’s shoes. Solve problems from the perspective of customer experience. Manage customer expectations. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Make your colleagues better. Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers. Guide senior contributors to maximize their potential. Write performance evaluations, work with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans. Foster leadership within your team to groom the next generation of leaders. Play an active role in fine-tuning Twilio's technical practices with the rest of the R&D leadership.
- Be an ambassador for Twilio. Recruit and motivate top talent to join your team.
- 3-5 years experience managing a team of 4+ direct reports. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- Stellar communication and organization skills.
- Experience delivering reliably in a fast-paced, high growth environment.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24/7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Minimum 7 years hands-on experience developing complex systems, preferably Java-based. You have worked full stack on one major platform, and you have experience with backend services and distributed systems. You're not necessarily a software engineer today, but you've definitely written code before.
- Deep knowledge of agile practices, CI and test automation. Ideally you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- Experience managing engineers in a dynamic, highly technical and complex operational environment. Ideally, you have experience in a production cloud/devops environment.
- Enthusiasm for working in a high profile, fast-paced startup culture. We ship products on a daily basis, with tight schedules, small teams, and a very large user base.
If you are not experienced specifically in Java backend microservices at scale, no worries, you will learn. We are seeking leaders who have the aptitude to deliver complex technical systems.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. #LI-POST
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top