Sr. Data Engineer - BI
Twilio is seeking a Senior Software Engineer for our Business Intelligence team with industry experience and a deep understanding of data usage and life cycles across a SaaS-based organization. We are looking for someone to build the data processing layer, used by our various business teams and applications, in a way that enables the wide variety of downstream reporting required (from real-time, to daily/weekly/monthly summaries).
About the job:
The person in this role will be responsible for the implementation of the data pipelines that extracts raw data from our internal platform or 3rd party systems and stores/summarizes/presents it appropriately for analysis across multiple business teams for both tactical and strategic initiatives. The individual will work closely with data engineers,analysts in Business Intelligence team, as well as the engineers in Data Platform team, to ensure the solutions that are developed and implemented are tightly aligned to enterprise business standards and principles. The individual will act as a subject matter expert for integrations and data pipelines for a given data mart/tools/technologies suite.
- Build and launch real-time or batch data processing pipelines supporting data warehouse models for analytics.
- Design, build and launch ETL (Extract, Transform & Load) pipelines following all architectural standards and best practices to populate data warehouse models for business analytics
- Design, build and launch extremely efficient & reliable data pipelines to move or extract data (both large and small amounts) from upstream twilio systems or 3rd party systems into data warehouse platform.
- Work across multiple teams in high visibility roles and own the solution end-to-end.
- Organize, and mine massive data sets of both structured and unstructured data by implementing appropriate infrastructure tools and systems to house data for reporting and analytics purposes.
- Develop solutions to extract, resolve, and unify information of various types from numerous disparate data sources and integrate cohesively with external business applications (Salesforce, Braintree, Eloqua, etc.).
- Identify trends in large data sets and validate expected and unexpected trends in the data to assist in identifying solutions to resolve the unexpected.
- Be (or rapidly become) a thought-leader in the area of data engineering with respect to entity resolution as it pertains to Twilio’s business goals.
- 5+ years of diverse experience in building data processing solutions for business analytics
- Experience working with Hadoop stack - Hive, Pig, MapReduce, Spark
- Experience working with Columnar/MPP Database technologies such as Redshift, Teradata etc.
- Experience dealing with automated data quality, anomaly detection processes.
- Experience working with real-time stream processing technologies like Kafka, AWS kinesis, Redis, Spark streaming etc.
- Experience or familiarity with NoSQL database technologies like Cassandra, DynamoDB etc.
- Experience with DAG based open source workflow management solutions airflow etc.
- Expert coding skills across a number of languages including SQL, Python, Scala etc.
- Experience in processing various file formats such as Parquet, Avro, JSON etc with compression algorithms optimizing data storage in file systems.
- Experience building 3rd party integrations with systems like salesforce, eloqua, zendesk etc.
- Experience in a data warehouse environment with star and snowflake schema structures.
- Experience dealing with performance optimization for large, scalable data systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and an ability to translate complicated technical issues for a non-technical business audience.
- Creative, curious and fascinated by data and the trends they reveal.
- Experience or Familiarity with Agile software development methodology
- Experience working with AWS stack
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top