Sr. Data Engineer - BI
Twilio is seeking a Senior Data Engineer for BI with strong industry experience and a deep understanding of data usage and lifecycles across a SaaS-based organization. We are looking for someone to define and structure the data layer, used by our various business teams and business applications, in a way that enables the wide variety of downstream reporting required (from real-time, to daily/weekly/monthly summaries).
About the job:
The person in this role will be responsible for the design and implementation of the data/data mart layer that extracts raw data from our internal platform and stores/summarizes/presents it appropriately for analysis across multiple business teams for both tactical and strategic initiatives. The individual will work closely with other members of the Business Intelligence team, as well as the Data Infrastructure team, to ensure the solutions that are developed and implemented are tightly aligned to enterprise business standards and principles. The individual will act as a subject matter expert for the data architecture, frameworks, tools/technologies suite, and data analytics needed to deliver timely, relevant, and actionable business analytics.
- Architect, build and launch new data models that provide intuitive analytics to your customers.
- Determine the desired architecture from data source to integration, distribution, and analysis for all Twilio business data domains – Marketing, Finance, Sales, Support, etc.
- Design, build and launch extremely efficient & reliable data pipelines to move data (both large and small amounts) from our Data Warehouse/Data Platform into downstream databases and data marts for analysis.
- Design and develop new systems and tools to enable end-users to consume and understand data faster.
- Work across multiple teams in high visibility roles and own the solution end-to-end.
- Organize, and mine massive data sets of both structured and unstructured data by implementing appropriate infrastructure tools and systems to house data for reporting and analytics purposes.
- Define, implement, maintain, enhance, and optimize the business metrics data layer for scalability and reliability.
- Develop and translate algorithms (graph theory, Map/Reduce, recursion, and other areas) into working prototype code.
- Develop strategies to extract, resolve, and unify information of various types from numerous disparate data sources and integrate cohesively with external business applications (SFDC, NetSuite, Eloqua, etc.).
- Create algorithms and heuristics to extract information from large data sets and implement the algorithms in software/scripts.
- Identify trends in large data sets and validate expected and unexpected trends in the data to assist in identifying solutions to resolve the unexpected.
- Be (or rapidly become) a thought-leader in the area of analytics/data science with respect to entity resolution as it pertains to Twilio’s business goals.
- 10+ years of diverse experience in designing innovative data solutions for business analytics, beyond basic ETL and Warehousing.
- Proven experience in managing workflow from architecture to delivery in an Agile framework.
- Broad knowledge of different database technologies beyond RDBMS - Columnar, JSON/XML, NoSQL, Hadoop.
- Broad knowledge of vendor/solution capabilities in data management and reporting/analytics – MDM, data federation, big data, data quality, Business Intelligence etc.
- Experience with a variety of Business Intelligence and dashboarding/reporting tools, including Looker, Domo, Hyperion, Informatica, etc.
- Experience writing complex SQL queries in a data warehouse environment.
- Experience with statistical environments such as R or Matlab.
- Desire to explore data in an unstructured environment and discover meaningful trends.
- Creative, curious and fascinated by data and the trends they reveal.
- Experience dealing with large, scalable, or high performance data systems.
- Experience with Linux operating system commands.
- Exercise independent judgment and demonstrate technical proficiency in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and an ability to translate complicated technical issues for a non-technical audience.
- Experience deploying full-stack solutions in Amazon Web Services or similar cloud architectures.
- APEX development experience.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top