Software Engineer - New Grad - Elasticsearch
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio's Data Platform is looking for a Software Engineer to join our Elasticsearch-as-a-Service team and deliver a self-service platform of powerful, scalable, reliable and high performance data services and infrastructure to keep up with our rapid growth and the increasing demands of our product teams, business units and external customers. You will develop low latency, highly available, globally distributed services platform that is used by over a dozen products with millions of events per minute. Do you want to be an expert in leading open source data technologies such as Elasticsearch, Spark, Kafka, S3 and REST APIs? Would you like to own and operate production services in AWS cloud infrastructure using the latest tools, like Datadog and Rollbar, then this position is for you.
You should have some or all of the following:
- A Bachelors or preferably Masters degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Proficient background in networking, operating systems, and security
- 0-3+ Years of engineering experience with Python, Java or Scala
- Knowledge of unit and integration testing methodologies, and the ability to write, debug and deploy testing frameworks
- Experience with any database or data store
A great day would look like development of data products, services and tools, in Java, Scala and Python and advising best practices. You will be driving quality by writing unit tests, functional tests, and performance tests in a continuous delivery environment. To deliver the products, you will be breaking down the requirements, estimating the tasks, planning the work accurately and executing the definition of done in Production. In addition to developing the product, you will be supporting development operations, building, releasing and assisting with team on-call. Teams are small and empowered so that you can move fast and ship to production multiple times in a 2 week sprint. You will collaborate with other teams and work cross-functionally for product launches. At the same time, you will be mentored, provided guidance, learn technologies in-depth and grow in your career in Big Data.
As a Software Engineer -
- Within the first 6 months of work, you will design, prototype, implement and deploy one or more core Twilio platform services.
- The process will include developing an early understanding of the product, documenting design and code details and participating in peer code reviews. The resulting service will require integration with other existing Twilio systems, as well as with Twilio’s performance and availability monitoring suite.
- Write maintainable code with extensive test coverage, working in a professional software engineering environment (with source control, dev/stage/prod release cycle, continuous deployment) - cowboy coders need not apply.
- Collaborate across the company and interact with our customers (software engineers) to define, design and build new APIs.
- Tackle complex problems in distributed computing, software-as-a-service, performance tuning, and more.
Twilio’s data platform processes billions of records per day and handles petabytes scale of data. It provides a platform and enables our internal teams to develop faster products. We also provide APIs and support for our external partners and enable them to develop innovative products.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. The Engineering team plays an integral role in building out the products that allow our developer community to meet their communication needs.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top