Software Engineer Intern - Summer 2019 - Data Platform
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is looking for a Software Engineer Intern who wants to design, develop, deploy and operate software solutions and help Twilio deliver real-time, low latency capabilities for next-generation communications. You are eager to learn and inspire and you like to think at scale and meet high availability goals, bringing a focus on solving resiliency, latency and quality challenges in our virtualized cloud environment. You want to develop technical skills and industry experience while working on complex distributed systems
Data Platform provides trusted services to move, store and analyze data for both Internal teams and external customers. This drives Twilio BUs to deliver products more reliably, quickly and cost effectively. External Customers can use these services to analyze their data in a compliant way and grow their business.
You should have some or all of the following:
- Pursuing a Bachelors or preferably Masters degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Proficient background in networking, operating systems, and security
- 0-3+ Years of engineering project experience with Python, Scala, Java, C or C++
- Knowledge of unit and integration testing methodologies, and the ability to write, debug and deploy testing frameworks
- Experience with traditional RDBMS databases, such as MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, etc.
As a Software Engineer Intern -
- Within the first few months of work, you will design, prototype, implement and deploy one or more core Twilio platform services.
- The process will include developing an early understanding of the product, documenting design and code details and participating in peer code reviews. The resulting service will require integration with other existing Twilio systems, as well as with Twilio’s performance and availability monitoring suite.
- Write maintainable code with extensive test coverage, working in a professional software engineering environment (with source control, dev/stage/prod release cycle, continuous deployment) - cowboy coders need not apply.
- Collaborate across the company and interact with our customers (software engineers) to define, design and build new APIs.
- Tackle complex problems in distributed computing, virtualization performance, distributed queuing, real-time DSP (audio processing), and more.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Back to top