Software Engineer Intern (Summer 2017)
This is an internship opportunity for the Summer of 2017. You will be working in a rapidly evolving and fast-paced environment, with a team that is implementing a reliable, auto-scaling, software-based telephony application stack on top of commodity cloud computing resources such as Amazon's EC2.
About the job:
- Be a Software Engineer, not just an "intern".
- Ship many different projects during your summer.
- Engineers at Twilio solve problems in distributed computing, real-time DSP (audio processing), virtualization performance, distributed messaging, busses and more.
- During your internship, you will be given responsibility for core features and services that ship to our users.
- You will be expected to embrace these challenges, learn fast and deliver great results.
- You will bring the willingness to learn and grow and we will reciprocate with ample opportunity to do just that, in a friendly, fun and exciting startup environment.
- Learn to develop beautiful and profitable applications.
- Demonstrate consistent improvement in your coding skills, issue-tracking and source control systems, and agile development mentality.
- Participate in code reviews, bug tracking and project management with the rest of the Twilio Team.
- Working towards a degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related field.
- Love of software development with several side projects and you may even be in the open source community.
- A hungry entrepreneurial and "can do" spirit, as evidenced by successful interest in learning new technologies.
- API team is responsible for edge services that govern the front door for Twilio's customer and internal developer platforms. Twilio's API receives over a billion requests a week. All this traffic comes through the API team's services. In addition, the API team is responsible for developing Twilio's helper libraries.
- Business Intelligence team's mission is to empower Twilio Business Units to make data-driven decisions by providing accurate, timely and valuable insights through reports, dashboards, self-service analytics delivered via effectively implemented and managed enterprise data warehouse platform and related tools. We build and manage data tools that provide actionable insights to the right people at the right time across Twilio.
- Billing Platform develops infrastructure used across all Twilio products to accurately bill customers at scale. As a pay-as-you-go micro transaction platform, you'll work on innovative solutions to pricing, real-time aggregation, payment processing, and other mission critical systems.
- Cloud Infrastructure is part of Platform Engineering; Twilio’s investment in agility, a startup-within-a-startup. Our mission is to provide Twilio R&D - every engineer at Twilio - with the APIs and tools to succeed in their mission.
- Console group are the arbiters of the best in-Console experience for our customers. We are building a self-service platform that includes a range of responsibilities ranging from owning micro-services to support the web platform to UI components that enable consistent contribution by all of the company.
- Data Platform group delivers a self-service platform of powerful, scalable, reliable and high performance data services and infrastructure to keep up with our rapid growth and the increasing demands of our product teams, business units and external customers.
- Data Science team is fundamental to Twilio, reflecting the data-intensive nature of our communication platform. We believe predictive analytics, deep learning and AI will augment virtually every facet of our business. We are executing projects across Twilio that protect our customers from fraud and spam, inform key business decisions, open up new avenues for reducing costs by millions of dollars and help us know our customers better. We help teams across the company be radically more productive, intelligent and efficient than ever before.
- Identity team builds, owns, and operates a growing suite of resilient, high-performance micro services that implement our notion of the Twilio customer--for example, the Twilio account or the Twilio user. We also provide services that authenticate and authorize customer access to Twilio's products and APIs.
- Messaging team at Twilio enhances and scales the SMS and MMS platform that touches millions of people every day. To take it to scale, you will be developing a complex distributed platform in Scala and Java and will be concerned with availability, throughput, latency, and data integrity. There will be a significant data component so you will be working with distributed SQL and NoSQL databases and caches. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
- Messaging Experience team builds the systems that power the Programmable SMS APIs and visual interfaces that customers interact with millions of times daily. We create intelligent products that abstract away common telecommunication problems and empowers customers to scale to incredible volumes with minimal effort. As an intern on the Messaging Experience team, you will have the opportunity to gain exposure to distributed systems technology and practices, API and visual interface design, and stream processing analytics systems.
- Productivity Engineering builds software systems to boost engineering productivity as Twilio engineering grows to 100x. We focus on building the platform to let engineers quickly iterate on their product with confidence. This domain spans a large variety of systems- from IDEs, various build systems, artifact and versioning systems, configuration management systems, test systems and frameworks.
- Programmable Voice team develops and operates the worldwide infrastructure for call processing, conference, voice media, recordings, and transcriptions. With Programmable Voice, customers can build unique communication experiences with our API to make, receive and control calls around the globe.
- Voice Connectivity is responsible for building and operating Twilio's Global Connectivity Fabric. Our team's infrastructure powers Twilio's real-time calling experiences by providing a resilient and reliable connectivity layer that dynamically adapts to its constantly changing environment to intelligently route calls through the Twilio network, as well as to/from the PSTN.
Twilio makes communications easy and powerful. With Twilio's platform, businesses can make communications relevant and contextual by embedding real-time communication and authentication capabilities directly into their software applications. Twilio gives businesses the ability to innovate, prototype, create, and connect with their customers at the right time and in the right way. Founded in 2008, Twilio is a public company based in San Francisco, California with other offices around the world.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top