Software Engineer (Data)
- Bengaluru, India
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio seeks a Staff Software Engineer to be a key leader in defining a new product offering at Twilio in the customer engagement space. The person in this role will be critical in shaping Twilio’s data and intelligence strategy, which will empower our customers to create highly personalized communications and experiences for their contacts. Come be part of a team that's building a set of ML-driven APIs that deliver intelligent audience and personalization recommendations.
- Personal traits - curious, humble, team player
- Professional traits - customer-obsessed, gets things done, highly collaborative, excellent communicator, and very comfortable with rapid change and uncertainty
- Your experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 5+ years of experience working in data architecture, data pipelines, master data management, metadata management
- Recent accomplishments working with relational as well as NoSQL data stores, methods and approaches (logging, columnar, star and snowflake, dimensional modeling)
- Proven track record in scaling and optimizing schemas, performance tuning SQL and ETL pipelines in OLAP and Data Warehouse environments
- Demonstrated skills with either Java/Scala or Python programming language
- Hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (e.g Snowflake, Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
- Understanding of ML concepts and how to build datasets would be a big plus
- Has worked in an agile team environment
- How you think:
- Independent - asks questions when something doesn’t make sense, and takes ownership of initiatives in an organized fashion
- Organized - able to meet tight deadlines and maintain high-quality work
- Communicative - able to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Growth-minded - eager and open to learn and evolve quickly
- Self-structured - strong ability to work independently and efficiently, prioritize multiple tasks, and execute reliably
- Your responsibilities:
- Intelligently design data models for optimal storage and retrieval
- Deploy inclusive data quality checks to ensure high quality of data
- Support on-call shifts as needed to support the team
- Design and develop new systems in partnership with software engineers to enable quick and easy consumption of data
- Develop low latency, highly available, globally distributed products
- Develop, deploy, monitor, and operate systems in a continuous DevOps model
- Develop proofs of concept, shared libraries, and services that will be used across the R&D organization
- Research and choose technologies, design system architectures and data models in a scalable and efficient way
- Proactively consider code quality and developer velocity
- Coach and mentor team members
You live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Design, build and launch efficient & reliable data pipelines to move and transform data (both large and small amounts)
- BE AN OWNER: Own the end-to-end data engineering component of the solution. Securely source external data from numerous partners.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Be part of a small, high-impact and multi-talented engineering team. Show strong engagement in the team setting. Build data pipelines to train and productionalize machine learning models.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Passion for and demonstrated track record of executing product opportunities deeply grounded in customer needs.
- DRAW THE OWL: Self-starter who can see the big picture and prioritize work to make the largest impact.
- BE BOLD: Help us take one of the world’s most extensive communication data sets and transform it into leading-edge AI applications and products that solve meaningful customer problems. Apply proven expertise and build high-performance, scalable data warehouses
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborating and brainstorming product ideas with product managers, data scientists and engineers. Partnering with data scientists & software developers to build machine learning & optimization solutions.
- DON’T SETTLE: Experienced working at a massive scale with distributed, scalable systems, including making tradeoffs for consistency/availability.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the world’s communications. Increasingly, we’re hearing from our B2C customers that they’re struggling to harness the massive amounts of valuable data they generate, much of which stems from the communications we help them send. We seek to uncover how Twilio can help customers utilize their valuable data to create unique, individualized experiences that their competitors can’t replicate. We want to help them become more proactive (outcome-driven) than reactive (event-driven) in their customer engagements. We are a new initiative and team at Twilio that will function much like an internal start-up. If you want to shape the future of B2C Customer Engagement and Twilio, this project is for you!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands, and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Back to top