Software Architect - Data Platform
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a talented and experienced Architect for Twilio Data Platform. You would manage and scale the data architecture for schema and data modeling at the heart of Twilio’s Data Platform. Additionally, you would provide the system design and oversight to ensure our services can scale to multiple orders of magnitude. Data Platform owns, builds, and operates the brokerage, processing, storage and insights services that power Twilio Communications products in over 100 countries for Voice, Video, Messaging and our new Flex Call Center Product.
- You are an expert in schema design and data modeling.
- You have a track record of designing and implementing schema and data models that scales to Petabyte levels with real-time latency for specific use cases (<50ms).
- You have deep expertise in Data Brokerage, Long Term Storage and Data Processing systems. This includes Kafka, Avro, S3 (or HDFS), Spark, Kafka Streams, Elasticsearch, etc.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence.
- You are familiar with agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation
- You are a strategic thinker as it relates to scale and removing humans from the loop. You thrive when operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services to defined SLA’s.
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans.
- You represent your customers’ perspectives. You plan for how they will be impacted by what you build, and you always work to enable their success.
- Bachelors/Masters degree required, or equivalent experience.
- Lead Twilio’s schema design and modeling for Data Platform
- Provide guidance and direction to the Data Platform organization as well as data producers leveraging the data platform on how to design and model their schema.
- Lead our architecture design for building, deploying our systems at Petabyte scale with Trillions of events/week.
- Continuously reduce human involvement in schema management and updates. Reduce the amount of time for schema updates and changes to be deployed while also reducing customer impact.
- Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, other Architects, and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent
Twilio’s Data Platform is one of the central foundation layers in delivering an amazing experience to customers and developers. Everything from phone numbers to messaging, voice and video events leverage the Data Platform for transport, storage and ultimately insight. In this role you would own and be accountable for how we scale and manage the structure of data, ensuring that we offer a very low friction path for internal product teams to leverage Data Platform and ensuring that we have the right scalable data models in place. Your work takes into account all various regulatory requirements for each country, as well as compliance initiatives, including GDPR.
You would be a visible leader and would work closely with teams at every layer of the company. Your success would deliver great customer experiences at major brands around the world (Twilio’s customers), and you would enable them to deliver better services to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top