Principal Software Engineer - Intelligent Routing API
TaskRouter is at the heart of Twilio’s biggest and most complex customer deployments. In 2017 it will be Twilio’s fastest growing product, growing at least 1000%. From major enterprises like ING to multi-billion dollar software companies like Zillow, TaskRouter powers the core logic of their customer experience. We're looking for a Technical Lead to join our team and help us architect and scale the system in excess of that growth rate while maintaining a highly available mission critical service.
About the job:
This is a key Technical Lead within the team. You will be the key person responsible for evolving and rapidly scaling existing services with points of presence globally and will be concerned with availability, throughput and latency. In addition you will also be responsible for leading the creation of new services that would provide powerful additional capabilities to developers on top of existing API’s and will require experience working with distributed SQL, NoSQL databases and caches.
- Join a small, high-impact, multi-talented engineering team in San Francisco, CA or Mountain View.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services in a distributed production environment. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Tackle some of the most challenging problems you can face developing highly available services in a distributed cloud environment that needs to scale.
- Write high quality, maintainable code with extensive test coverage.
- Collaborate with product management to define, architect, and build new customer-facing features.
- Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
- Lead architecture, design and code reviews as well as mentor junior engineers.
The TaskRouter team believes in versatility and complementing proficiencies being key to forming the best team. We are looking for senior-level talent with a variety of skills and specializations. You should have at least 3 to 4 of the proficiencies below to be considered for the role:
- Java. You are a rock-solid backend Java developer and use it regularly. You know and apply OO and best practices in Java and know how to build scalable REST services. This is a key language for the team.
- Internet-scale services. You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code in an environment where load sometimes more than doubles month over month. You can design and develop horizontally scalable, resilient and high performance REST services. You’re familiar with distributed datagrids like Hazelcast.
- Databases. You’re comfortable with SQL databases and replication schemes to enable high availability with failover. You have expert level experience with traditional RDBMS databases.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: AWS, Azure or GCC. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop a quality pipeline requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Security. You are able to design secure distributed systems and assure operational processes around security. You understand fitness for purpose of security techniques.
- Agile. You are an expert in practical aspects of running Scrum (or other agile methodologies) within a team and in a distributed cross-team environment. You know how to ship rapidly and frequently.
- Proficiency with ElasticSearch / Kibana.
- Experience working with Node/React framework.
- Experience working with Dropwizard.
- Experience with NoSQL databases.
- Experience working in a DevOps environment.
- Sound understanding of CI/CD build and deployment toolchains.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top