Principal Software Engineer - Identity
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to help us build and operate the next generation of enterprise-grade identity services that power security, identity and access management for all of Twilio’s products. You get excited by the idea of having end-to-end ownership of services that process billions of requests per day. You enjoy iteratively delivering value to customers and you know that to take services to scale requires developing a complex distributed platform from ground up and are concerned with availability, throughput and latency. If you are a great problem solver who is super hungry to learn better ways of doing things and super pragmatic to do what’s best for the customers, we want to talk with you.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer with 7+ years of demonstrated track record of building mission-critical, cloud-scale systems. The ideal candidate will have:
- Proficiency in cloud technologies and hands-on experience in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure; ability to design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Fluency with OO programming languages such as Java, C++.
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering principles and practices.
- Understanding of Identity and Access Management protocols and architecture (SSO, SAML, OAuth, Federation, etc.), and security concepts such as PKI is strongly preferred.
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or related field.
As a senior member in the Identity engineering team, you will enhance and scale the identity platform that is used by every development team in Twilio and millions of developers and customers who build on Twilio. To take it to scale, you will use Java, AWS and various open source technologies as well as Twilio’s platform to develop and deploy scalable, uptime-critical services.
Specifically, you would:
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Architects and Engineers to build enterprise-grade identity and security features for Twilio APIs.
- Independently design and create significant architectural changes across multiple services.
- Own and operate your team’s production services in AWS cloud infrastructure. Release, monitor, and maintain features in a responsible, reliable way as part of our integrated DevOps practices
- Lead and mentor senior engineers to complete large projects spanning several sprints.
- Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Drive quality by writing unit, functional, load and performance tests, and by reviewing others’ design and code.
Twilio’s Identity group provides a growing, globally scalable suite of full-stack products and services implementing customer identity and access management. Our mission is to deliver a secure and high performing identity and access experience for all Twilio customers. We have end-to-end ownership of Twilio users, accounts, and organizations, including all front ends, APIs, business logic orchestration, backend processes and internal management tools. We provide API keys, stored credentials, signing, encryption, 2FA and access policy services meeting the highest standards of security, reliability and resilience. We also provide the new Admin Center, SSO, public key client validation and other offerings for the Twilio Enterprise Plan, extending Identity to cater to our largest customers. We operate critical infrastructure leveraged by every Twilio product and used 24/7/365 by every customer.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top