Engineering Manager - Voice & Video Console
The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud API’s and with on-demand global reach. Twilio is therefore challenged with abstracting away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network with footprint throughout the world.
As Manager of the Programmable Voice & Video Console team, you will lead a team responsible for providing an exceptional experience for our customers for managing all aspect of their accounts, from on-boarding, to configuration and management of services, to troubleshooting and optimizing applications, to real-time analytic view into their usage metrics.
This is an opportunity to work full stack with modern front-end technologies including Node.js, React, Redux and Bootstrap to name a few.
- Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers through their journey to Agile Maturity. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Interface with our central design team to ensure consistency across our user experiences.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code. Lead reviews of architecture design. Also work to enable a Continuous Integration environment.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
- Extensive experience leading the development and operations of a full stack front-end application using modern UI frameworks and development environments.
- Experience leading a team as Manager with people responsibilities for at least five reports and for three years. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- We are seeking leaders who have solved complex problems and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Master of agile processes, continuous integration and test automation. Ideally you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- Minimum 7 years hands-on experience developing and scaling full stack front-end Web applications. As a bonus, you have experience with backend services and distributed systems.
- Experience managing engineers in a high technical and complex operations environment. Ideally, you have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top