Engineering Manager - Services (IOT)
Twilio enables developers and businesses to build apps that communicate with everyone in the world.
The vision of the Programmable Wireless team is to build the first truly global and programmable cellular connectivity network, enabling developers to build the next generation of IoT and communications devices. It’s a startup within Twilio.
About the job:
Join a fast paced, growing team that is creating one of Twilio's most transformative products to date. The Wireless team consistent of high-energy rock star engineers that deliver at a very high pace.
As an Engineering Manager you will lead by guiding the engineering team through the implementation while maturing operations and processes. You will also work directly with Product Management, Biz Dev, and customer operations.
This is a highly visible role to lead engineering for a key initiative in the company.
- Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers through their journey to Agile Maturity. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Write performance evaluations, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Translate product requirements into engineering requirements, and ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code. Lead reviews of architecture design. Also work to enable a Continuous Integration environment.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
- Minimum five years experience leading a team of 4+ as a Manager. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Experience managing engineers in a high technical and complex operations environment. You have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment for high scale, low latency services.
- Minimum 4 years hands-on experience designing and implementing REST APIs, backend services, and working with MySql, or other RDBMS.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LIPOST
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top