Engineering Manager - Fraud Prevention
Twilio is looking for a fraud expert to build out our fraud-fighting technology and lead our company-wide efforts in combating fraud. As the Fraud Lead, you will work with a dedicated team of software engineers with overall responsibility for maintaining and upgrading Twilio’s internal and third-party fraud-fighting tools.
In addition, you will work across Twilio’s R&D department to ensure that anti-fraud measures are being incorporated into all of Twilio’s products. Twilio believes in small teams and Service Oriented Architecture. Twilio therefore consists of hundreds of services owned and operated by teams of 5-8 individuals and deployed on a globally distributed system.
About the job
You will need to work closely with teams across engineering, product management, data analytics, and operations to launch new tools and support existing ones. You will own your products from both a technical and business perspective. The success of our fraud-fighting efforts is in your hands.
Successful candidates will have demonstrated the ability to lead an engineering team and ship quality product in a fast-paced environment. We expect you to be able to work and communicate across the organization at all levels and to be “hands on” in all aspects. You must not only have the professional expertise to understand your team’s engineering and business challenges, but also the technical acumen to build great software.
- Define the roadmap as well as plan and prioritize sprints for the software development team.
- Build and mentor a team of talented Software Engineers with various levels of experience.
- Develop product and technical specifications for bugs, enhancements, and new features, including writing user stories and cutting tickets.
- Assess, select, and implement third-party fraud-fighting tools, including creating the technical specifications for the required integration work.
- Work closely with the Fraud Operations team and the Data Analytics team to identify and understand the ever-changing landscape of fraud vectors and then take action to keep up with new forms of fraud.
- Work with other product and development teams to ensure that Twilio’s new and existing products incorporate anti-fraud efforts and publish the appropriate data to our fraud-fighting tools.
- Communicate both the business and technical rationale behind your product decisions.
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services.
- Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
We are looking for a fraud expert with the following required qualifications:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience with 3+ years of that experience working as a Product Manager and/or Engineering Manager, preferably in connection with a fraud-related tool or product.
- 5+ years of experience fighting online fraud with a top-tier fraud team (can be concurrent with preceding qualification).
- You have created technical specifications, user stories, database and API designs based on business requirements.
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms.
- Stellar communication, organization and management skills with proven track record in an agile environment.
- Ability to explain your technical and business decisions in detail.
- Proficiency with at least one JVM-based language and databases.
- Solid understanding of continuous integration and deployment practices.
The following are optional “nice-to-have”, bonus qualifications:
- Experience working with cloud technologies and platforms.
- Proficiency with Scala and/or Python.
- Knowledge of telecommunications.
Twilio makes communications easy and powerful. With Twilio's platform, businesses can make communications relevant and contextual by embedding real-time communication and authentication capabilities directly into their software applications. Twilio gives businesses the ability to innovate, prototype, create, and connect with their customers at the right time and in the right way. Founded in 2008, Twilio is a public company based in San Francisco, California with other offices around the world.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST
Back to top