Engineering Manager - Data Platform
- San Francisco, CA
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio's Data Platform team is looking for a Engineering Manager to join our Data Lake team to help build the next generation of Data APIs, platform and products, enabling engineers and businesses to capture, store and processes global event data, reliably and at scale. As an Engineering Manager, you will have experience:
- Managing and building a cross functional team of software and systems engineers.
- Designing the operation of scalable, reliable and fault tolerant data heavy systems.
- Working with engineers, product managers, customer support and others to launch new products and support existing ones. The success of our data platform is in your hands.
- Shipping quality product(s) in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding customer requirements and being able to work and communicate with other Engineering teams across the organization.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field is a minimum requirement.
- Experience with some of the following technologies: Hadoop, HBase, S3, Kafka Connect, Spark, DynamoDB, Hudi or Delta Lake, Elasticsearch.
As an Engineering Manager you will:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Continuously deliver value to customers.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Guide the team through Agile methodologies and grow employees’ career development, coaching and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt. By serving as the team’s Scrum Master, you will break down roadblocks, manage communications with stakeholders and dependent teams as well as create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders by instituting development best practices. This ensures the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code through a continuous delivery model.
- BE AN OWNER: Own, operate and maintain your team’s services with a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- DON’T SETTLE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruit and motivate top talent.
Twilio’s Data Platform team processes billions of records per day and handles data at the petabyte scale . We provide platforms for internal teams to accelerate development and deliver products quickly. We also provide voice and message APIs and support for our external partners and enable innovative customer applications.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. The Engineering team plays an integral role in building out the products that allow our developer community to meet their communication needs.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale St in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks and drinks, game area, ergonomic desks, massages, yoga, dinners & happy hours with activities, monthly All Hands and more.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top