Director, R&D Finance
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Director to be a leader in Twilio’s critical R&D Finance team. This high-visibility role gives you a platform to drive investment intensity and growth across the Company portfolio. As the Director, Product Finance, your ability to build a deep business partnership with the product leaders, to clearly communicate the current state of the business and to develop product and engineering strategy in partnership with Product Leaders, including the Chief Engineer and Chief Product Officer will determine your success.
You will lead a team of talented finance professionals and manage all R&D finance initiatives in partnership with product managers, product marketers, sales leadership, product operations and the rest of Twilio’s Finance team. You will help to build and evaluate strategic product decisions for the business, driving cost competitiveness as well as investment strategies. More tactically, you will be responsible for overseeing the short and long range planning, target setting and evaluating investment opportunities for organic and inorganic growth of the Company. Reporting to the VP of Finance, Product & Engineering you will have a significant impact on how Twilio analyzes portfolio performance and makes investment decisions across the R&D organization.
Twilio is looking for an experienced leader who has:
- 8+ years of relevant analytical and management experience in Tech / SaaS Product Finance, FP&A or technology investing (VC/PE/fund).
- Strong communication; experience presenting to C-level and Senior Leadership
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally and in a matrix environment
- Exceptional analytical skills and clear thinking; experience building scalable models and processes
- Experience navigating operational complexity across multiple product lines and synthesizing financial insights into relevant actionable items
- Demonstrated track of record in product revenue forecasting, margin analysis, and pricing exposure
- Fluent understanding of Product P&L dynamics, unit economics, and common SaaS metrics
As Director, Product Finance you will:
- Lead a team of talented Senior Financial Analysts and or Managers dedicated to specific product lines
- Partner with Product GMs, Engineering Leaders and Operations to drive solid operating cadence and financial discipline across all Business Units
- Refine and manage overall portfolio financial forecasting and performance, product revenue models, margin mix, key financial metrics (growth rate, ARPU, churn, margin profiles) to synthesize and report key business insights
- Define investment / capital allocation framework and reporting metrics to evaluate investment level and ROI across the product portfolio
- Partner with Product Management on pricing and overall economics for new products, features or bundles
- Translate strategy behind new product launches into comprehensive financial models and outcomes for revenue, margin and operating investment levels
- Drive cost competitiveness across the Company tech stack
- Partner with Corporate Development to provide product finance support to M&A initiative
Twilio is a complex, high-growth, quickly evolving business. The R&D Finance team is critical to provide visibility on individual product performance and to drive investment intensity and growth across the portfolio. The Director, Product Finance is a critical role that will further enable the Senior Leadership and C-level to make educated investment decisions. We need a leader who is passionate about product economics and eager to expose important trends that will help shape Twilio’s future direction.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
See Inside the Office of Twilio
Launched in 2008, Twilio simplifies business communication across applications—supplying developers with the highly competent tools needed to develop customer-centric phone, VoIP, and messaging systems on its global cloud API platform. From online restaurant bookings to tech support call center networks, Twilio's flexible technology lets companies construct personalized business solutions that enhance customer-service interaction and profitability.
Back to top