See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next DevOps Engineer - expert in Chef.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to support the hands-on operational team responsible for design, implementation and management of our datacenter footprint across the US and EU. We are building a world-class platform to enable Twilio’s developers to quickly deploy reliable, scalable, and secure products to Twilio customers. As Twilio continues to grow, the team is leading the expansion of our datacenter footprint across the globe.
In this role, you’ll:
- Support the team with advanced Chef operational and best practices insights. You will be the-go-to person for all the things around Chef.
- Develop automation for processes within the team.
- Be deeply involved in the management of the current and future state of Chef within the team.
- Identify and drive areas of improvement within our Data center management practices.
- Foster an inclusive environment and imports team members to succeed and grow.
- Build out world class data center facilities that support our customers worldwide.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- A deep understanding and operational experience working with Chef for configuration management solutions and operating it at scale.
- Experience with large scale datacenter projects & infrastructure rollouts.
- Proficiency with one or more programming languages. Ruby being the preferred language, Go and Python being secondary.
- Deep familiarity with Linux (CentOS/RHEL preferred), bash scripting, service configuration and management.
- Hands-on operational experience in a data center facility. Installation of equipment in racks, attaching connections to power and network infrastructure. Ability to coordinate these activities remotely via remote hands services.
- An understanding of computer science fundamentals and practical experience developing distributed systems.
- A passion for automation and DevOps--blending operational excellence with development best practices.
- Experience creating declarative APIs to manage physical infrastructure in a hybrid cloud environment.
- Past development projects involving backend databases or interacting with other systems via API.
- Proficiency and strong desire to work with the go programming language and interest in wider software engineering.
This role will be based in our Dublin office or remotely in Ireland.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.