Deputy General Counsel
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Deputy General Counsel to join the legal leadership team. In this role you will have primary responsibility for advising on and directing legal matters relating to new market expansion and international operations, in addition to overseeing the leaders of our Commercial and Corporate teams. This exceptional individual will be a key member of the legal leadership team with responsibility for directing activities within the legal team and providing legal counsel to the company’s executive team.
Twilio is looking for a leader with a demonstrated track record of leading teams across multiple subject matter areas, including commercial contracts, corporate securities, international operations and M&A. This role involves leading and handling cutting-edge and complex legal projects and matters. You should thrive in an environment that requires you to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs. In addition, you must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment and be comfortable working collaboratively and proactively within the legal team as well as across other functional teams and with external stakeholders. In this role, you should also expect to interact frequently with the executive team and Board of Directors, and should be comfortable doing so.
- Minimum of 20 years of experience (at least 10 years in-house) and minimum 10 years of leadership experience in building, running and/or developing high performing teams required
- Deep familiarity and demonstrated experience with international operations and issues associated with new market entry
- High comfort level with a wide range of legal issues and subject matters
- Skilled, effective and empathetic manager who is able to motivate team members to achieve at a consistently high level
- A confirmed ability to effectively influence, lead, collaborate with and motivate others at all levels
- High personal standards of excellence and ethics, as well as the ability to act with discretion, strict confidentiality and sensitivity towards issues and individuals
As the Deputy General Counsel, you will:
- Have primary responsibility for advising on and directing legal matters relating to new market expansion and international operations
- Work closely with the leaders of our commercial and corporate teams to ensure we are scaling our teams, processes and systems as required by the growth of our business and customer needs
- Recruit strategically and lead the team to scale globally and align with the expanding needs of a rapidly growing, global organization
- Work with team leads and cross-functionally across the business to mitigate legal risk
- Partner closely with the General Counsel on strategy and planning for the legal team
Twilio’s legal team is rapidly growing, scaling to serve customers around the globe with increasingly complex problems to solve. Our mission is to power a global platform that enables revenue and instills trust with all Twilio stakeholders. We aim to mitigate risk while facilitating high growth and innovation. We’re looking for a stellar leader to join our dynamic legal team working on innovative legal issues across a growing global company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located at our new 101 Spear Street office in San Francisco. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, monthly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top