Data Scientist, Marketing Communications
- Redwood City, CA
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
As Twilio redefines the market for customer engagement software, companies globally are looking to see how we do it. We have succeeded on the strength of creative programs and strict execution. But we've yet to tap the mountains of data we collect across product usage, clickstream, and ad impressions. We are excited to add a Data Scientist who will optimize the yield of over $100M in marketing investment and directly influence the story we take to market.
Twilio is looking for a Data Scientist to partner with Corporate Communications to analyze data and build systems that measure the effectiveness of campaigns and initiatives and tie them to business impact and growth. As part of this role, this professional will also build hypotheses, design experiments and analyze internal data to communicate actionable business insights and tell compelling data-driven stories. You are eager to learn and inspire, and you like to think at scale and work with real-world problems, distilling takeaways for less-technical audiences. You will be building this function from the ground up. You should have most or all of:
- Masters or PhD degree in Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or another quantitative field, or equivalent experience
- Strong background in statistics (design of experiments, estimation theory, hypothesis testing, time series analysis, Bayesian inference)
- Validated experience in data mining and visualization
- Ability to translate complex data and analytical results into actionable business insights and communication stories to both internal and external audiences
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with Python (preferred) or R and SQL, experience with C/C++ or Java/Scala is a plus
- Strong experience working with and connecting systems like data within Google Analytics, Looker, Salesforce/Tableau; connecting PR and Social Media tracking systems is a bonus
As a Data Scientist in Marketing, you will collaborate with marketing and communication teams such as Demand Generation, PR, Content, Internal Comms, Analyst Relations, Social Media, Brand and Sales/Marketing Ops. You will often collaborate with a distributed guild of other Data Analysts and Data Scientists, embedded in their respective functions across Twilio.
- Cultivate a POV with market trends and use anonymized Twilio product data to validate and support storylines for our PR team to pitch to journalists.
- Optimize existing measurement tools to develop a regular cadence of reports which highlight the business impact of Twilio PR results, content and social media efforts.
- Refine our multi-touch attribution model to understand which programs are supplying the most revenue.
- Evaluate ground breaking ML algorithms (such as multi-arm bandit) to accelerate our time-to-insight with experiments in-market.
Twilio looks for leaders who live the Twilio Magic. For this role, it's especially important to demonstrate:
- DRAW THE OWL: Ability to apply sophisticated math techniques in novel ways to measure the result of advertising and marketing campaigns.
- BE AN OWNER: Ability to step up and lead cross-functional projects for which the team builds new infrastructure.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Ability to articulate clear test plans and a business case.
- RUTHLESS PRIORITIZATION: Ability to decide (and explain) which tests should run first.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Ability to build tools and frameworks that other teams in Marketing use to bring to bear insights on a go-forward basis.
Our Marketing team evaluates investments on the basis of pipe-to-spend. I.E. how much pipeline can we build for the Sales team with our budget? Every year, we not only grow our budget but also our pipe-to-spend efficiency. The better we do, the more sales reps Twilio can hire, and the faster we can redefine how the world builds software. We see potential to increase our pipe-to-spend by another 20% in 12-18 months.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$109,824 - $151,000
Rest of CO:
$96,096 - $132,132
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Back to top