We're looking for a great Data Scientist to join Twilio’s Data Science team. Help us deepen our understanding of our customers’ needs, enhance Internet-scale products and create fundamentally new kinds of systems, all informed by your talents in software engineering, exploratory data analysis, modeling and machine learning.
About the Job:
In this role, you will work with petascale data generated by thousands of systems and growing rapidly every day. You’ll leverage your experience in statistics, deep learning and predictive analysis of massive data sets. You will make key technical decisions and modeling choices, as well as writing amazing code, and you’ll provide actionable intelligence and analysis to the business. You’ll apply data science tools and techniques appropriately based on your judgment and intuition and your understanding of human behavior. You’ll help build systems that detect fraudulent activity and security intrusions, block spam, optimize our use of critical resources and predict customer behavior.
In doing so you’ll help to realize our team’s mission of providing deep insight, actionable intelligence and machine learning systems in a company experiencing exponential growth and rapid-fire product rollouts used by millions of people, every day, around the world. We expect and encourage you to learn, grow and take on ever more ambitious challenges as the company and team scales. This role is as intellectually demanding as it gets; if you’re interested in tackling a real challenge, this is *the* job.
- Work with teams across Twilio, including the e-Team, helping them gain true insight into their questions through advanced analytics.
- Aggregate, normalize and process data from disparate sources to gain perspective on customer behavior, prevent and detect fraud and build forecasting models.
- Thrive with imperfect, mixed, varied, inconsistent or otherwise messy data sources, and are able to adapt your procedures to the context at hand and make the best use of what you have.
- Leveraging your intuitive feel for product, you need to be able to envision how a tool or approach could best fit the product need and present your approach effectively.
- Produce automated high-level reports, dashboards, visualizations and ad hoc analysis to empower various teams including R&D, Finance, Marketing, Sales, Carrier Operations, Business Operations and Product.
- Collaborate with the rest of the Data Science team to deliver systems leveraging your analysis.
- 8 years of academic or professional experience in statistics, data science or other quantitative field.
- Masters (or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics or other quantitative discipline.
- Hands-on experience with core data science algorithms for classification, regression, time-series analysis and various visualization techniques. You’ll need a strong grasp of probability theory.
- Expert knowledge in one or more of the following languages to wrangle and understand the data: SQL, R and Python+Scipy.
- You’ll be getting your hands dirty with data, so you should have extensive Unix skills and data mining skills. You’ve written a MapReduce job, queried MySQL, worked with Spark or extracted data from S3.
- Passionate about working with data at scale.
- You love to learn and constantly investigate new techniques and methodologies.
- Enthusiasm for working in a high profile, fast-paced startup culture. We ship products on a daily basis, with tight schedules, small teams, and a very large user base.
- Passionate. Persistent. Creative. You have an ability to drive towards actionable results. You find clever ways around problems, or just plow through them. When you don’t know it, you figure it out. You are a self-starter and you get things done -- you are a DOer.
- Ph.D. in a quantitative or scientific field where you analyzed data statistically.
- Academic experience in one or more of these fields: physics, biostatistics, astrophysics, computational chemistry, cognitive science or neuroscience, behavioral economics, econometrics, finance, mathematics or computer science.
- Familiarity with Java, Scala or C++.
- Experience with data visualization.
- DW/BI experience.
- You’ve developed software in a professional team setting following agile software development practices and continuous delivery.
Twilio makes communications easy and powerful. With Twilio's platform, businesses can make communications relevant and contextual by embedding real-time communication and authentication capabilities directly into their software applications. Twilio gives businesses the ability to innovate, prototype, create, and connect with their customers at the right time and in the right way. Founded in 2008, Twilio is a public company based in San Francisco, California with other offices around the world.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top