Chief Technology Officer
- San Francisco, CA
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is being built by small customer focused teams who rely on the underlying engineering platforms and architectural building blocks. We leverage best practices of building distributed systems and enable them through self-service software platforms built by platform teams.
The CTO role at Twilio focuses on defining and leading the implementation of long term strategic technology roadmap. This role brings company-wide architecture, platform, data design and engineering practices under one leader. The CTO is responsible for the common foundational technology strategy for the company.
Key goals of the CTO include expanding globally and ensuring availability in all regions, improving software delivery efficiency, product resiliency and optimizing compute and network costs as well as growing and managing a global engineering team.
Twilio is looking for a leader that is capable of:
- Leading the strategy, planning, and execution of the Twilio technology roadmap
- Defining, evolving and implementing Twilio Architectural Principles
- Working cross-functionally with teams inside Twilio and influence decision making within senior-level audiences
- Researching global technology trends and their applicability to Twilio’s capabilities
- Representing Twilio at technology conferences and at executive level customer engagements
- Evangelizing, define and implement self-service software to drive efficient software development practices
- Maintaining strong relationships with key customers, partners, and vendors
- Promoting a positive work environment; select and train new team members; continuously provide feedback, mentoring, and coaching to existing team members
- Partnering closely with business leaders across functions to identify and prioritize the company’s goals
- Leading leaders globally; mentoring and fostering a high performing collaborative team
As CTO, you will have:
- Extensive experience in architecting distributed systems and developing enterprise level technology roadmaps
- Experience in running a 24x7 high-availability operation with proven success building out processes at Internet-scale
- Highly analytical with the ability to translate between strategic business decisions and their quantitative implications
- High-growth technology company experience
- Thinks critically and objectively; has excellent problem solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business demands
- Detail-oriented with great organizational skills, comfortable with ambiguity
- Ability to distill complex issues into structured frameworks and concrete action plans
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal guidance - be an owner
- Passion for technology and communications, well-versed on the latest trends
- Travel required as needed
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. What you will get to experience is a company that believes in building a great work environment and valuing all Twillions, seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Back to top