Chief People Officer
Because you belong at Twilio
The Chief People Officer (CPO) at Twilio will own and drive the function that is one of the biggest drivers of our success - our People. Reporting to the CEO/co-founder, they will lead the People team from the front and embody our values, the “Twilio Magic” in all they do. Our success is based on giving employees ownership of their domains, small team environments to excel, and opportunities to work with passionate and committed colleagues, to personally grow, and to achieve their full potential. Our People leader will bring both head and heart to work every day along with a commitment to ensuring that Twilio is a great place to work for all.
Success in the role requires both sides of the brain. Operating globally, the CPO must carefully consider the machine we're building, and understand how it's operating quantitatively. At the same time, as a member of the Executive team, they must intuit how the senior leadership of the company is functioning, and help the CEO build an effective leadership team. The CPO must exhibit these skills in multiple venues, from the board to the executive team, to the company-wide all hands as a highly visible, key company leader.
We recognize that great talent has a choice, and we are looking for a leader who builds employee experiences that make the best want to say “Yes!” to working at Twilio every day. The CPO guides the talent acquisition and retention strategy of the company, helping to create a differentiated employee experience that feeds our employees with opportunities to grow, find challenge and fulfillment at Twilio every day.
We’re growing at a rate that requires you to be a builder of programs that are global, flexible, accessible, and that can easily scale. We’ve been building the foundation and have assembled an amazingly talented People team who are looking for a leader who will partner with them to bring our programs to the next level. As we continue to expand our global footprint, our CPO will work collaboratively in crafting programs that support HR Business Partner, Employee Relations, Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, Total Rewards, Employee Experience, Culture/Inclusion & HR Operations that ensure that we can attract, develop and retain a widely distributed workforce. We’re committed to being a company that is a great place to work for all so inclusion and belonging are an important aspect of this job which will be critical if we are to meet our aggressive, published diversity goals.
Our ideal candidate is a creative and effective strategist; has broad business and people interests and knowledge; can create and execute ideas. S/he should be inclined to boldly take on issues and challenges; to comfortably confront and work through conflict; to communicate messages without hesitation; to deal promptly and fairly with employee relations issues. S/he should be self-aware; responsive to feedback; and flexible and adaptable. Thrives in a dynamic environment and able to work on various projects simultaneously, requiring strong organizational and time management skills.
S/he should also have demonstrated experience in building trust and credibility with the executive team and employees at large; track record of successful execution of People-related programs and initiatives at high-growth, innovative companies; and a solid understanding of business strategies and priorities with an ability to connect business strategies into relevant people strategies. S/he should be a passionate, thoughtful and clear communicator, and be able to articulate People strategies to the Senior Executive Team and our employees. The ideal candidate would be equal parts qualitative (soft) people skills and analytical prowess, as HR is a quantitative discipline too.
- Create Twilio’s People team vision and strategy based on the company’s values, strategic and operational plans.
- Prioritize and resource the highest impact people strategies to best accelerate our business objectives.
- Reinforce Twilio’s cultural values (Twilio Magic) by incorporating reinforcement into overall People programs.
- Own our compensation strategy, directly interfacing with the Compensation Committee to determine appropriate compensation programs and following through on the implementation of such programs.
- Lead diversity and inclusion programs, helping the company to continue building an industry-leading environment of inclusion to achieve our aspirational 2023 goals.
- Translate Twilio’s People strategy into operational plans.
- Develop innovative and market-leading talent acquisition strategies, plans and programs to identify and develop talent within and outside Twilio.
- Develop impactful Twilio People programs; including, but not limited to, the programs for talent acquisition, compensation, benefits, performance management, diversity and inclusion, employee relations, succession planning, compliance, immigration, training, professional and organizational development.
- Track and analyze key metrics to assess the effectiveness of Twilio’s People programs.
- Inspire, lead and manage Twilio’s People team, including “HR for HR” and the overall People budget.
- Continue to build out and attract top talent to scale Twilio’s People team to support the company’s future growth.
- Create international programs to be aligned with local needs.
- Lead or participate in operations, and/or cross-functional, organizational projects.
- Minimum of 15 + years of HR-related experience, with at least 5 years in a senior leadership position managing HR in a hyper-growth, innovation-focused company.
- Public company experience preferred.
- Master’s degree in HR, and/or MBA preferred or commensurate experience.
- Demonstrated track record in leading and executing HR efforts spanning across talent acquisition, compensation, benefits, performance management, diversity and inclusion, employee communications and relations, succession planning, compliance, immigration, training, professional and organizational development.
- Superior communication skills (written, oral, and listening) and excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Knowledgeable in HR management systems.
- Understands the value of a diverse workforce and experience in actively building diversity programs.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate, and build high-performing teams.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top