Sr. Software Engineer, Optimization
We are seeking a Sr. Software Engineer to help build our next-generation real-time bidding platform. With over 500,000+ decisions per second, we are building out infrastructure enhancements to focus on availability, performance and scale.
You will be joining the Optimization team working closely with Data Scientists and Software Engineers to build out a highly scalable next generation Optimization engine. We’re looking for highly-motivated individuals with the right skills to help us in developing systems that will have a direct influence on the success of the company.
Candidates must have solid experience working on large-scale, distributed systems. This will be an opportunity to work on several core projects with considerations on key architectural and design decisions.
- Be nice: Treat others well, be honest, and seek compromise
- A passion for learning: You would like to know if an array list iteration is faster than a linked list iteration, know if a contains on a set is faster than a list even on 2 elements, know what's the difference between CMS and G1GC, etc
- Detail oriented: Willing to run reports and analysis as big gains can be as simple as moving a string parser outside a for loop
- Okay with not being the smartest person in the room: Asking questions and being wrong is how we learn
- Not okay with gaps in knowledge: Strong ability to "dig in" and investigate, research, or read code to find out what is going on and get the right answer
- Get stuff done well: Willing to work fast without compromising on the quality of the work
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while juggling multiple projects
- Work on projects enhancing our real time distributed optimization engine, part of the RTB (Real-Time Bidding) platform, the core of TubeMogul’s technology platform
- Collaborate on key architectural decisions and design considerations
- Monitor and plan out core infrastructure enhancements (a.k.a. stay ahead of possible scalability bottlenecks)
- Troubleshoot and resolve system problems and customer issues under very tight service level agreement.
- Work with Data Scientists to implement optimizations to increase campaign effectiveness
- Contribute to and promote good software engineering practices across the team
- Mentor junior developers (i.e. demonstrate good coding practices and helping them architect code smartly)
- 5+ years hands-on programming capabilities in Java
- Strong Java, Python, SQL (MySQL) experience and solid Linux/Unix skills
- Experience with Big Data technologies including: Hadoop, Hive, Apache Kafka, Storm, etc.
- BA/BS/MS/PhD degree in Computer Science or related engineering field or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong sense of ownership and track record of quality work
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Exposure to statistics, machine learning or optimization theory; experience with R, Weka, Pandas/NumSci
- Passion for Data Science and Machine Learning
Compensation and Benefits:
You'll appreciate a competitive compensation package including an equity component and excellent benefits. You'll love a challenging work environment, exceptional colleagues, strong business momentum, clear objectives and the ability to make a difference. Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, 401K matching, company events and an extraordinary culture.
TubeMogul is the global leader in software used by brands and agencies to plan, buy and measure their brand advertising. By reducing complexity, improving transparency and leveraging real-time data, our platform enables marketers to gain greater control of their video advertising spend.
TubeMogul is founder-led and we strive to hire people who have a high “Do:Say” ratio - these are the people that excel at TubeMogul. We were recently ranked as the #5 Best Place to Work in the Small/Mid-Sized category by Glassdoor and our core value of ‘Getting Stuff Done’ defines our hard-charging culture where accountability is valued above all else.
TubeMogul was founded in 2007 and is a public company listed on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange under the symbol “TUBE”. We are based in Emeryville, California with offices in New York, London, Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney, Toronto and across the United States.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter with your resume explaining why you are an ideal candidate for this role. Please use the link provided to apply. This opportunity is full-time only. No contractors, consultancies or recruiters will be considered
Back to top