Director of Data Science
About the Company
Trunk Club, a Nordstrom Company, is a Chicago-based personalized styling service for men and women, offering both virtual and in-person shopping options. Shoppers can visit Trunk Club’s retail Clubhouses in Boston, Charleston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York City, Washington D.C., for an in-person styling session or custom fitting for any occasion. For those who prefer an at-home experience, Trunk Club offers a virtual styling option, where a personal stylist sends a curated trunk of clothing to their home based on the customer’s style, fit, and lifestyle preferences.
About the Role
As the Director of Data Science you will be instrumental in helping Trunk Club achieve its mission to get the right clothes, to the right person, at the right time. In order to be successful you will consider yourself to be an entrepreneur, champion of data science, and storyteller.
If you were here this week, you would be:
- Collaborating with our executive team on a vision and roadmap for data science at Trunk Club.
- Working with innovation teams and the business at large: envisioning, integrating and pitching how data science betters our customer and sales experiences.
- Reporting on the performance of algorithms and the business value they have delivered.
- Helping data scientists develop and test algorithms to solve a broad spectrum of product, fit, and customer identification challenges. You'll be helping them pick the best tool for the job and design experiments to validate their analysis.
- Mentoring junior data scientists in understanding the basis for various statistical approaches, explore models from different aspects, and sell their findings back to our product teams.
- Partnering with our engineering leaders to ensure our recommenders can be consumed and used in a scalable and extensible way.
- Recruiting data scientists to join our existing team and building Trunk Club’s brand within the data science community.
You are the right person if you:
- Feel comfortable representing data science to all areas of the business, from merchandising to product design to sales.
- Have a deep understanding of modern recommender systems, algorithms, and techniques such as factorization machines, logistic regression, bayesian hierarchical modeling, and collaborative filtering.
- You enjoy teaching others about data science and helping your team understand when and how to use common algorithms and methodologies.
- Can lead projects through the definitional stages, working to ensure that we’re working to solve the right problem and have clearly articulated problem statements and goals identified.
- Seek accountability for the ultimate execution of the development of our data science platform.
- Have a working knowledge of common data structures, tools (like Storm, Kafka, and Neo4J) and languages (like Python, R, or Java).
- Like to get your hands dirty: prototyping, modeling and hacking.
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage trade-offs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching business priorities.
- Strong technical and data science expertise, including the ability to analyze business problems effectively and work cross-functionally to prioritize and ultimately drive development.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to explain complex analysis and algorithms to an unfamiliar audience.
- Track record of success in fast-paced organizations with matrixed reporting environments, using elbow grease to drive solutions to tie together technology, marketing, finance, operations, sales operations, legal, and sales.
- Minimum masters degree in a related field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Operations Research, etc.)
Meet Some of Trunk Club's Employees
Inside Sales / Customer Relations Stylist
Jade's main focus is to provide Trunk Club's members with an all-around excellent customer experience no matter where they're located across the U.S.
Back to top