Lead Data Engineer
Changing the established guidelines of an industry, especially one as rooted as digital advertising, isn't an easy or quick effort, but we believe it's the right thing to do and we want to be the ones to do it. We're looking for hungry people who are passionate about redefining the digital video and media world, from how consumers experience it to how content creators fund it.
We work hard at true[X], and we believe in fostering an open, collaborative, motivating, creative culture for our team; put simply, our employees love to come to work. We have all the perks you can expect from a startup environment, including a sunlit rooftop patio, corn hole and ping pong, and a stocked pantry and fridge.
The true[X] technology team is a bit of an anomaly in the tech world: Once people join us, they tend to stick around. Our leadership has been a part of this company for 10+ years (since the beginning), and our turnover is exceptionally low.
You can ask individual members their thoughts, but this dedication generally comes down to two factors. First, the people: We hire smart, driven, accountable, and friendly individuals. We all appreciate and are proud of the culture we’ve created here, and it’s in no small part due to our high hiring standards. Second (and this point cannot be understated): There is a endless supply of engaging engineering work to be done. Our engineers are constantly expanding their knowledge and experience, whether it be exploring a new language on a hackday, learning the internals of various cloud platforms, or leveraging new tools to work with our “Big (and growing!) Data". Boredom doesn’t exist here.
Our leadership takes pride in fostering a sustainable software development cadence. No artificial deadlines. No guilting our team into staying late. And no micromanagement. We use the best tools to get the job done, end of story. We communicate via Slack (mostly emojis and gifs, really). We like testing. We have an aversion to meetings. You get the hardware you prefer (within reason) to make you as productive as possible. We want you to be happy, and stay a valuable team member for a long time to come.
As the Lead Data Engineer, you will lead the team that owns our data infrastructure. This is no small responsibility: As an AdTech company, data is our lifeblood, and there's a lot of it. If you're excited by and have experience ingesting, processing, storing, analyzing, and working in a Big Data environment, read on...
- Lead a team of fellow data engineers
- Build and modify Spark jobs (in Scala) to perform various tasks, from reading Kinesis streams using Spark Streaming, to joining and aggregating huge data sets, to integrating with third party data sources
- Collaborate with Data Science, Product, and Engineering to gather feedback, suggest features, and contribute to the roadmap
- Mentor team in best practices
- Computer Science degree (or similar) required
- Strong familiarity with Spark (using Scala)
- Working knowledge of various serialization formats (Parquet, AVRO, JSON, CSV, etc.)
- Experience debugging and optimizing Spark jobs
- Experience working with HDFS, S3, Redshift, and Elastic MapReduce are preferred
- Familiarity with Data Science tooling in Spark is a plus
- Experience in the advertising industry is a plus
- Must have proven leadership on a Data Engineering team
- Must be a strong written and verbal communicator
Meet Some of true[X]'s Employees
Director, Product Management
Amanda is responsible for one of true[X]’s core products, the ad serving platform, which monetizes content for some of the country’s largest digital media companies.
Back to top